Planted 40 gallon breeder

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
Planning a planted 40 gallon breeder I have most my plants decided stocking is a hard pick for me I am open to ideas! As of now I am thinking of

2 German blue Rams
10-12 shrimp to start maybe they will breed maybe they will not.
6 celestial pearl danio's
6 Cory cats
1 Candidianus goby
And maybe a few dwarf puffers if the shrimp start to breed.

I plan on using a lot of Java moss and tons of rock structure including a large piece of drift wood as a center piece. I am thinking it may be a long shot but I was wondering if the dwarf puffers would harass/eat the shrimp til there are none left. Even with the plethora of structure.

I was wondering your ideas on my stocking list and what your thoughts may be of my plans?

I will begin construction in two weeks and use this as a journal!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I like your setup and stock with the exception of the dwarf puffers, they may nip on other fish as well as the shrimp. If you do decide to put in a puffer the Pea puffer would be the best option imo.:)

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I think with puffers, your shrimp will be history. If you did provide plenty of cover for the shrimp they may go nocturnal and be able to survive but then you would never see them, not ideal tank mates either way.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I wouldn't do puffers, they will nip and likely kill the majority of your fish through injury; they tend to do best kept in a species only tank.

you could do more danios if you wanted? even another 12 wouldnt be pushing it, means you could try the different varieties :) I haven't kept gobies, but I'm intrigued so I'm going to google them lol

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I wouldn't do puffers, they will nip and likely kill the majority of your fish through injury; they tend to do best kept in a species only tank.

you could do more danios if you wanted? even another 12 wouldnt be pushing it, means you could try the different varieties :) I haven't kept gobies, but I'm intrigued so I'm going to google them lol

You tube Stiphodon Goby you may like these, I have two in my 29 gal. Community aquarium. :)

Reactions: convict360

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
You are right the Stiphodon Goby has awesome coloring! I figured the dwarf puffers would be a no go because I do want to see the shrimp out and a about if they decide. And maybe I'll add another 6 danio's of a different type! And maybe a pair of golden dojo loach to finish

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
I agree with the puffer comments, Don't do it. And in all honesty, your rams may eat the shrimp, not to mention if they decide to breed they may uproot some of your plants. Looking forward to pics when you get the tank setup!! good luck!

Reactions: fishy12

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
Thank you and gonna start this week! Can't wait to start either!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store