Planting a tank, looking for suggestions.

craigthor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
IA
I'm looking to add a few plants to my tank. I currently have an African Cichlid tank an Oddysea Light w/ 2- 65 watt 12000 k lights and 2- Actinics and moonlights setup to run a full days light schedule. I use sand substrate so I will probably have to find plants that can be attached to my lace rock as I see most plants don't like sand substrate. I have looked at Amazon Swords but I hear they don't like sand and same with Anubias. Any options I have with sand?

Craig

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Actually plants love to root in sand. Especially anubias and swords. The problem for these plants lies in the nutrients, which can be fixed by root tabs. The biggest problem however, is your bulbs, the actinics will do nothing for plant growth, and the 12000K will do very little. You need to drop those at least down to 10,000K, preferably 6700K. Many anubias will do better if rooted to wood or rock, but will survive rooted in the substrate, just make sure that the rhizome is not buried.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
African cichlids love digging and love ripping up plants...
What do you have?

craigthor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
IA
davo;757246; said:
African cichlids love digging and love ripping up plants...
What do you have?
Lots that love to dig ;)

Saulosi, Scianechromis Fryeri, Copadichromis Trevawsse, Haplichromis Flameback, Jacobefreibergi Eureka Red.

They seems to leave the Fake ones alone so maybe that is a good thing:ROFL:

Craig

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store