Plants in rhino iguana enclosure?

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
Sylvias;4399264; said:
Depending on the size of your enclosure you can put hibiscus in. i had a decent sized hibiscus plant in with my iggy for a while until he discovered the flowers were better than his salad.... If he doesn't gorge on it it's a great plant for climbing and hiding and basking...but most igs and other plant eaters lavish hibiscus flowers and leaves
That is feasible however prepare to replace the hibiscus very often because they are a complete pain to keep alive indoors. Dont forget any plant brough from a store has to remain outdoors preferably for several mouths to shed any quemicals it has been expossed to. Also its important to say that sometimes the biggest hazzard its not the plant itself but the potting substrate and igs tend to eat it with possible harmfull consequences.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Well, I guess I'll just plan on putting collards, mustards, and healthy leaf lettuces in there for him to browse as he likes. At least that way he always has fresh food available, versus slowly wilting food over the course of a day.

Etunes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Florida
Conner;4401626; said:
Well, I guess I'll just plan on putting collards, mustards, and healthy leaf lettuces in there for him to browse as he likes. At least that way he always has fresh food available, versus slowly wilting food over the course of a day.
Good idea but be prepared to pick out food as he will tear the things to shreds eating it.

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
Conner;4401626; said:
Dude no letuce and plants in there dont replace you putting in a big plate of shreeded vegies every day and even having to replace or refill it twice a day or more. Also potting dirt ISNT a healty thing to have around a baby ig.

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
coura;4402447; said:
Dude no letuce and plants in there dont replace you putting in a big plate of shreeded vegies every day and even having to replace or refill it twice a day or more. Also potting dirt ISNT a healty thing to have around a baby ig.
I thought dark leafy lettuce was ok and just stay away from iceberg lettuce? I'm pretty sure conner has a mix of potting soil and play sand. What wrong with that?

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
coura;4402447; said:
I give him a fresh bowl of collards, mustards, and red leaf lettuce every morning, with a piece of fruit added as well.

I'm not just gonna stick a plant in there and assume that's all he needs to eat. I've done quite a bit of research on acceptable foods for this guy. Sheesh, give me a break. Its just something else to stimulate him and let him forage.

And certain lettuces ARE ok for them to eat. It doesn't make up the majority of his diet, its just one more kind of green to add variety to his diet. Which, you know, variety is a GOOD thing.

My substrate is clean topsoil mixed with playsand. There are no additives, fertilizers, or pesticides in it, and we don't use anything like that in our garden either, so there's be nothing in it harmful to him.

I have a pretty good idea of what I can and can't do here. I'm just looking for ways to enrich his environment.

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
Citrinellus;4402469; said:
I thought dark leafy lettuce was ok and just stay away from iceberg lettuce? I'm pretty sure conner has a mix of potting soil and play sand. What wrong with that?
Potting soil is often made with manure and can have added things such as fertilizers and perlite to ease drainage, not good to have in your iguana bowl. All letuces are to be avoided untill the iguana is larger, even the heltiest letuces still are very lacking in calcium, high in nitrates, high in phosphorus and low in fiber, not a good thing to give to a small iguana. People here have even loss canaries and budgies shortly after using letuce. I DONT use letuce not grown by me in any of the many herbivor species I keep, the risk is to high to losse or compromise the helth of valuable animals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store