Plants keep getting smaller?

trick1441

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Minnesota
So I have a 90 gallon and its been up for a couple of years. The leaves on all of the plants have been progressively get smaller and smaller for a couple of months. I have some amazon swords, and some sag. I also have elodea but that is the only plant that hasn't gotten smaller it actually just keeps getting bigger and bigger then I cut the top off and plant that and that part grows. Anyone have any ideas why the other plants are decreasing in size? I have a DIY led fixture that is very bright

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

everlastace

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2011
Utah
Getting smaller meaning eaten or beat up? Or the new leaves are smaller than the old leaves?

Sent from my LG-P509 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

everlastace

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2011
Utah
I had that problem with swords. After research I found that it is normally caused by not having enough nutrition and light. Do you supplement the nutrients or anything?

trick1441

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Minnesota
I've used root tabs and seachem flourish. I followed the direction on the bottle. Other than those I haven't done anything else. I forgot to say that the leaves are getting smaller but more and more are growing. Should I try trimming a few back?

everlastace

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2011
Utah
I would trim the older growth off and make room for the new growth. Maybe increase light, if you can.

everlastace

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2011
Utah
I don't think light is my issue as they are way way bright. I'll try trimming the old growth and dosing more fertz. Could the light be too bright?

Too bright isn't usually the issue so much as it might be the wrong color spectrum. Most plants like light in the yellow/green area of the spectrum. But that's less likely to be the issue than just crowding. I would try trimming old growth, then give them a couple weeks and see if there is any change.

Also, what fish do you have with them? Fish poop makes excellent fertilizer for plants.

trick1441

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Minnesota
I have natives couple blue gills, pumpkin seed, largemouth bass, some small bullheads, and a green sunfish all are less than 5 inches except the bass which is about 8 inches. They are very messy eaters.

everlastace

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2011
Utah
I had pumpkinseeds in my planted tank until last week. If you've got natives, then you're probably running the water a little colder. That could be the whole problem. Plants are like fish, warmer water makes them grow bigger. As long as it's within the accepted range.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store