Plasti Dip and its possible uses in the aquarium

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; No I have not but have some confidence that there must be a volatile solvent of some sort to keep it liquid. My take is it would need a long cure time to allow that solvent to be gone. I know this is not very helpful but I am also interested in knowing if the stuff is safe to use as I have some of it.

Reactions: FESHMAN

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Hey MFK,

I was curious and hoping to know if any of our members have used this plasti dip product inside of their tanks and what were your experiences with it?
I wouldn’t recommend spraying any type of paint or aerosol inside a tank. I would recommend you only spraying on the outside of the tank. I’ve used Plasti-dip on the back, side, and bottom of my tanks without any issues. Also, remember to spray generously otherwise it won’t peel the way it’s suppose too

Reactions: mattison187

jcarson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2018
Las Vegas Nevada
www.instagram.com
I am actually gonna spray a couple of decorative skulls that I dont know if are fish safe.
I saw this guy on youtube who painted his intakes black to match the back of his aquariums and he swears by it. I dont know and am skeptical. I trust this forum and hope someone here has used it and of course i will continue to do my own research and maybe testing.

Last edited:

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
I am actually gonna spray a couple of decorative skulls that I dont know if are fish safe.
I saw this guy on youtube who painted his intakes black to match the back of his aquariums and he swears by it. I dont know and am skeptical. I trust this forum and hope someone here has used it and of course i will continue to do my own research and maybe testing.
Use Krylon spray paint that’s Aquarium safe afaik

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Ive searched and searched but have yet to find anything from krylon that says aquarium safe.
I’m speaking from experience, JK47 JK47 i believe used it on his PVC parts or it might be another member. Tons of people on this forum have used Krylon spray cans to paint PVC parts and other things that goes inside aquariums. Personally I have used it on a couple of tanks and all my fishes are still happily swimming today

Reactions: FESHMAN and jcarson

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
The stuff is called Krylon Fusion specifically and a lot of the planted tank guys use it. Don’t know enough about PlastiDip for inside the tank. It’s good for inside the stand to protect the wood from humidity or overspray from sumps

Reactions: Dloks and jcarson

jcarson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2018
Las Vegas Nevada
www.instagram.com
I’m speaking from experience, JK47 JK47 i believe used it on his PVC parts or it might be another member. Tons of people on this forum have used Krylon spray cans to paint PVC parts and other things that goes inside aquariums. Personally I have used it on a couple of tanks and all my fishes are still happily swimming today
I like when people speak from experience. thank you.

The stuff is called Krylon Fusion specifically and a lot of the planted tank guys use it. Don’t know enough about PlastiDip for inside the tank. It’s good for inside the stand to protect the wood from humidity or overspray from sumps
I have see fusion in my local stores but not the fusion for "plastic" which i see online. are they the same thing you and Dloks Dloks are speaking of?

Reactions: Dloks

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
No problem and yes it’s Krylon fusion.

8C15B71C-2D10-4BD9-AD04-3D9BB1D884CB.jpeg

Reactions: phreeflow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com