Plastic tote for a sump or no?

Rogerdodger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2018
What is everyone's experience using a plastic tote am i setting myself up for a future failure if I use one?

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Rubbermaid totes are great for sumps they are not thin and don't bow like any other brands ime. I stated in your last thread I have been using a rubbermaid tote as a sump for 14 yrs now without any issues except evaporation but its manageable.
Thread revive!

Over on the saltwater forums, there's always the debate of what TYPE of plastic is safe when using plastic totes as a sump. What is the general opinion over here?

Also, anyone plumb 2 totes together to increase overall sump size? I've been looking around and don't see many large totes, but two 40g totes plumbed together would work quite well for me...

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thread revive!

Over on the saltwater forums, there's always the debate of what TYPE of plastic is safe when using plastic totes as a sump. What is the general opinion over here?

Also, anyone plumb 2 totes together to increase overall sump size? I've been looking around and don't see many large totes, but two 40g totes plumbed together would work quite well for me...

Never used the Rubbermaid tote for Saltwater but have for my 180 gallon aquarium over 10 years without any issues.

Reactions: twentyleagues

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Never used the Rubbermaid tote for Saltwater but have for my 180 gallon aquarium over 10 years without any issues.
OK cool. So the HDX totes from Home Depot would be OK? They come in 55g and I would plumb 2 together for a 110g capacity sump system. My tank that's being made will have 3 overflows in the bottom, which will drain into the first tote for mech filtration. This will then overflow into the 2nd tote for bio filtration, and this tote will also have my 2 return pumps.

Cool?

Reactions: twentyleagues

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
OK cool. So the HDX totes from Home Depot would be OK? They come in 55g and I would plumb 2 together for a 110g capacity sump system. My tank that's being made will have 3 overflows in the bottom, which will drain into the first tote for mech filtration. This will then overflow into the 2nd tote for bio filtration, and this tote will also have my 2 return pumps.

Cool?

Tbh I have no experience with the HDX totes but looked at them and the ones I looked at were thin. Personally wouldn't use them for a sump. I will only use Rubbermaid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store