Platinum blood parrot

KCSemper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2020
Het leucistic convict x leucistic convict would be around half the fry being leucistic. Your results show the leucism trait passed down from only 1 parent, the sibling breeding of het leucistic would yield about 1/4 of fry being leucistic.
How many are shortbody?
I am no genetic genius, this is typical in (3) breeding pairs of convicts that I have in (2) separate tanks. all of the breeding pairs came from the same parents originally (1) female convict and (1) so called white platinum Parrot. About 25 percent of the fry in all (3) breeding pairs show the same color pattern of white. When you use punnett squares to express the white color, I identified each Convict parent as carriers or having (1) copy of the recessive white gene (W). Expressed nW (male) and nW (female). Basically parents that look convict but carry 1 copy of (W) that may be passed on to fry. As far as short body, it may be to early to tell that yet. This is still a learning process for me, but exciting nevertheless!! Thanks for the feedback!!
(n) (W)

(n) (nn) 25 percent standard convict nW (50 percent carries (W) looks convict
(W) nW (50 percent carries (W) looks like convict ww (25 percent Carries (2) copies of white and displays white

gots2knowme2

Feeder Fish
May 12, 2022
I seen one of these for the first time ever and bought two of them...they are Platinum Parrot Cichlids....I read up on these and they are rare in the pet shops...they are actually hybrids and have read in a couple different articles of different "possible" mixes it took to create these kind so I'm not 100% sure what mixes it "really" took to create these fish

Reactions: KCSemper

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Pretty sure they are Shortbody Honduran Red Points. I have a pair of the blue…both are het for leucistic so I get almost 50/50 blue and platinum fry. All the fry are shortbody.

The platinums are not as fertile as the blues and it took me a while switching out males until I found one that’s very productive. All the fry from the platinum pair are white. I’m still raising out the batch so I’ll see if they are all shortbody or not

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
I seen one of these for the first time ever and bought two of them...they are Platinum Parrot Cichlids....I read up on these and they are rare in the pet shops...they are actually hybrids and have read in a couple different articles of different "possible" mixes it took to create these kind so I'm not 100% sure what mixes it "really" took to create these fish
No. This has been settled by those who actually know what they are talking about. No more of this nonsense.

KCSemper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2020
Nothing wrong with asking questions, everyone seems to think they know....but at the end of the day do we really know the true DNA of these Hybrids, especially if they are bred overseas and pop up in your local Fish stores. Some say Convict/HRP or combination of the (2) etc.etc... probably will never be settled??? Never less interesting to hear some opinions! That's what these forums are for isn't it??

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Nothing wrong with asking questions, everyone seems to think they know....but at the end of the day do we really know the true DNA of these Hybrids, especially if they are bred overseas and pop up in your local Fish stores. Some say Convict/HRP or combination of the (2) etc.etc... probably will never be settled??? Never less interesting to hear some opinions! That's what these forums are for isn't it??
Yeah, Aquatic Agression just shared his opinion. There are other people who will do the same thing and confidently and arrogantly spread the notion that they are a specific hybrid just based off the trade name which is spreading misinformation. I could go on about why this is the case but it’s been gone over time and time again.

Nanafish

Feeder Fish
Jun 5, 2022
Can anyone help me with my male and female platinum parrots who now have 6 fry? Very difficult to find information because am always told they don’t have fry. My blood parrot lays eggs but the male is infertile, so they always end up eating the eggs. Well, my platinum parrots turned out to be a pair and I now have 6 fry. No idea how many eggs were layed because they spawned in a tree trunk ornament and I couldn’t see in. I just let them be as they were protecting their area and would clean around the tree trunk when doing water changes. Eventually saw tiny white specs swimming around but mom and dad kept them in the trunk. When they became free swimming and out of the tree trunk, I setup and moved the whole family into a 5 gallon tank. Fry are about 1/4 inch. Put a small cave in the 5 gallon where mom stays and sometimes dad but he comes out to check on fry. Should I leave parents in tank with fry or put them back in their tank? I have read that parrots are excellent parents so don’t want to upset the apple cart. Fry just do their own thing, including chasing each other. Is the 5 gallon tank big enough or should I setup in a 10 gallon? Any information would be appreciated.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Can anyone help me with my male and female platinum parrots who now have 6 fry? Very difficult to find information because am always told they don’t have fry. My blood parrot lays eggs but the male is infertile, so they always end up eating the eggs. Well, my platinum parrots turned out to be a pair and I now have 6 fry. No idea how many eggs were layed because they spawned in a tree trunk ornament and I couldn’t see in. I just let them be as they were protecting their area and would clean around the tree trunk when doing water changes. Eventually saw tiny white specs swimming around but mom and dad kept them in the trunk. When they became free swimming and out of the tree trunk, I setup and moved the whole family into a 5 gallon tank. Fry are about 1/4 inch. Put a small cave in the 5 gallon where mom stays and sometimes dad but he comes out to check on fry. Should I leave parents in tank with fry or put them back in their tank? I have read that parrots are excellent parents so don’t want to upset the apple cart. Fry just do their own thing, including chasing each other. Is the 5 gallon tank big enough or should I setup in a 10 gallon? Any information would be appreciated.
They are just Shortbody convicts. Fertile as can be. You can leave them with parents for 1-2weeks max after becoming freeswimming because dad may eat them to try and spawn again if you keep the fry too long. Yours are more then ready to be separated. Could put them in the 5 gallon. It should be fine for a little while. But 10 gallon would be better and you would have to set it up anyways down the road so why not now.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Nanafish

Feeder Fish
Jun 5, 2022
They are just Shortbody convicts. Fertile as can be. You can leave them with parents for 1-2weeks max after becoming freeswimming because dad may eat them to try and spawn again if you keep the fry too long. Yours are more then ready to be separated. Could put them in the 5 gallon. It should be fine for a little while. But 10 gallon would be better and you would have to set it up anyways down the road so why not now.
Thank you so much. I have put the parents back in their 40 breeder. I only have 7 black skirted tetras, 2 blood parrots, 2 polar parrots, the platinum parrots, 3 small otocinclus, 4 Corydoras and a Siamese algae eater in this tank. I did have a male firemouth in there but moved him to my 55 gallon angelfish tank when I realized that there were fry. Been this way for over 2 years with the same fish but they are always doing something new! I will be setting up the 10 gallon for the fry.

thanks again for the help

Reactions: HybridFinatic
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store