Platinum Parrot and Convict

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
Look who paired up yesterday:

80195439-DB56-444A-A944-77CA3E1D7352.jpeg

I noticed these two being pretty friendly yesterday and the parrot coming in and out of the cave for the first time. Looking in the cave with a flashlight, I see a bunch of eggs in there. Unfortunately, I noticed this after I brought home a beautiful gold severum and now everyone in the tank is chased away to a corner. I’m am thinking of removing the male convict to try and bring peace back, but likely after the eggs hatch and begin to grow (if they survive). Thoughts?

This is a 75 gallon with the following:

EBJD, male and female convict, female platinum parrot, jewel cichlid, gold severum.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
If you wait until eggs hatch and begin to grow, the other fish will keep being harassed. The convict and parrot look very small, I'm guessing all the fish are small? Small EBJD in particular are pretty fragile, I'm not sure I'd expect them to survive the pair's aggression.
If your goal for the 75 is to have a community tank, I would remove the male sooner rather than later and also remove/destroy the eggs, or the female will likely keep defending them. There is really not enough room to have a breeding pair and also have a peaceful community of other cichlids in a 75. Kind of a one-or-the-other situation in my experience.

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
If you wait until eggs hatch and begin to grow, the other fish will keep being harassed. The convict and parrot look very small, I'm guessing all the fish are small? Small EBJD in particular are pretty fragile, I'm not sure I'd expect them to survive the pair's aggression.
If your goal for the 75 is to have a community tank, I would remove the male sooner rather than later and also remove/destroy the eggs, or the female will likely keep defending them. There is really not enough room to have a breeding pair and also have a peaceful community of other cichlids in a 75. Kind of a one-or-the-other situation in my experience.
Thank you for your advice. Yes, all the fish are smaller than the parrot, beside the severum being a little larger. My goal is to have a peaceful community, so I’ll have to remove the male sooner than letter like you said.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
platinum parrots are just short bodied platinum HRPs. it's no wonder they paired up.

Reactions: Ruturaj

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
Ok, the male was taken back to my LFS yesterday and it has already helped. The other fish are venturing across the tank again, but still chased away by the female at times. I may ride it out a little and see if any of the fry hatch/survive, but will remove them if the aggression picks up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store