Platinum Parrot Issue - Please Help!

Slandsberger

Feeder Fish
Jan 18, 2020
Hi, I have an established 72 gallon tank with 4 various parrots. Last week i saw a “platinum” parrot at my LFS which I had never seen before. I fell in love with it and bought it exactly one week ago. I am assuming it is a male because it has a small nuchal hump and it immediately “clicked” with a small female in my tank (I know its a female because she has laid eggs before). The female stuck up for the new fish and I feel she really made his introduction to the tank easier as she fended off the other fish from him. Everything was going great but I did notice he was not eating as aggressively as the other fish. I contributed this to non familiarity to the food I was feeding them but did notice him eat a few pellets. Today I woke up to find him upside down in the tank with what looks like maybe a prolapsed anus. He is still swimming but remains upside down for the most part at the bottom of the tank. I put some salt in the tank and raised the heat, thinking it might be either a swim bladder infection or constipation. This evening I notice what I can only describe as pink tentacles coming out of the anus. They come out, they go back in and they seem to move on their own accord. Please see the video / pictures and tell me what these things are. I have vast aquarium experience and the parameters of the water are perfect. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

C21B21FD-089D-4751-AB10-D07E812A84F9.jpeg

1C687C65-1B21-4C11-8C9A-78484C8F628E.jpeg

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Start treating with the link RD posted asap, looks advanced with the swelling and fluid retention.

Slandsberger

Feeder Fish
Jan 18, 2020
I did some research and that is definitely what it is! I am going back to the LFS tomorrow and hopefully he will refund me the $60 I paid for this fish and give me the medicine. I know the owner personally and buy ALL of my fish from him. I doubt he knew it was infected as it it looked GREAT when I got him. I will update you all tomorrow. Thank you for the info and diagnosis.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I doubt if the owner will have Levamisole for sale, but he might. Not just any old med will get the job done, you need something that will specifically target nematodes aka roundworms, such as Levamisole. FYI - a dewormer such as PraziPro will not be effective. More info in this link. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa091

Good luck

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
As per the last link I posted, there are other options for an anthelminthic de-wormer, such as Fenbendazole, but my only personal experience over the years has been with Levamisole.

Slandsberger

Feeder Fish
Jan 18, 2020
Yeah... I cant find the levamisole at any stores here in New Jersey USA, I have only found it online with a 6-7 day delivery. Afraid that will be too late!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I'm not sure how close you are to these folks, but they are located in NJ and might be willing to ship overnight.

Any farm based DVM would probably have it in stock.

Reactions: MrsE88 and Ruturaj
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store