Platinum RTC question

stratos

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
Hi - I'm importing this group of 5 platinum RTC:

Some people have told me that these ones look more white or platinum than most others sold on the market. I've been told that many have a more yellowish tone. Does anyone know why this is?

I've also been asked if these are albino. I have no idea. Does anyone know whether "platinum" RTC are albino or xanthic?

My area of expertise is Asian arowana, so these are new to me.

Thanks

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Platinums usually have more brown and spots than the one pictured below. Probably 5 very rare platinums. I haven’t seen xanthic or albino’s, so I can’t speak for them. The one below is cool, because it doesn’t have too much brown. Besides that, incredible fish.
1124440-8c228c3215d634b8400bcc69287206b2.jpg

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
IMO the 5 platinums you show are of a higher quality. No original markings showing through. They should show a metallic sheen and the better this sheen and the platinum colouring the more expensive the fish, although there are others on here much more versed in platinum fish than myself.
personally I don't want yellow coming through and I don't want a white fish. Equally I would not want a fish with red eyes as this will be classed as albino, no matter how good the platinum colouring and sheen are. Many platinum fish, especially poorer grade platinums often can be seen to revert back to some of the original gene coloration and some fish can lose a lot of value as they grow and this occurs.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
One expert is vincentwugwg vincentwugwg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store