Platinum RTC

coolcomfort

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
USA
These are one of the few artificial manipulations I like. I’m still waiting to see one in thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter 4500 gallon. That would be quite incredible. However, I haven’t seen a single platinum RTC reach over 30 inches. Most only seem to reach the 22-25 inch mark. I think Vincent Wu has the biggest on MFK at the moment and even just don’t seem huge to me.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
vincentwugwg vincentwugwg ?? Your move, bro. Your expertise is needed.

ReApEr666

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2018
Everyone seems to forget even large fish take many yrs to get that way even in the wild... not many people actually have regular RTC's over 30" either. The hype and scare tactics spread by the masses who have never even owned any of these fish is ridiculous. Any rtc white or reg colored will attain 20-24" in the 1st 2 years. After that growth slows down alot. Ive had reg. rtc's 5-8yrs old that were still only 28" and kept in 12'diamater swimming pools. 36"+ rtc would be 10-15 yrs old. Im sure thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter can attest to this aswell. Largest rtc ive seen in person came from ted himself A Anythingfish and it was only 38" on the tape. 2 many people exaggerate sizes. Vince is about to leave the country for a bit also.... u prob wont get a response as most his fish just traveled across the u.s. to a new home....

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Everyone seems to forget even large fish take many yrs to get that way even in the wild... not many people actually have regular RTC's over 30" either. The hype and scare tactics spread by the masses who have never even owned any of these fish is ridiculous. Any rtc white or reg colored will attain 20-24" in the 1st 2 years. After that growth slows down alot. Ive had reg. rtc's 5-8yrs old that were still only 28" and kept in 12'diamater swimming pools. 36"+ rtc would be 10-15 yrs old. Im sure thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter can attest to this aswell. Largest rtc ive seen in person came from ted himself A Anythingfish and it was only 38" on the tape. 2 many people exaggerate sizes. Vince is about to leave the country for a bit also.... u prob wont get a response as most his fish just traveled across the u.s. to a new home....
I'd probably be a bit more optimistic, quantitatively by 3"-6" on average, but it appears to me the gender matters, not to mention the genetics. If my thinking is correct, as laid out in our RTC thread, the females grow the biggest and/or the fastest and should be 3'+ after 5 years or some such, ~4' after 10-15 years. But all in all, I don't expect 5' or 6' cited by those naysayers who know a few things about an RTC but not enough in depth, IMHO.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
vincentwugwg vincentwugwg ?? Your move, bro. Your expertise is needed.
My first golden/platinum rtc is 5.5 years old and about 30 inches. The biggest golden/platinum rtc I am keeping is a bit over 34 inches and around 5 years old. All of these came under my care when they were 3-6 inches. The growth is typical compared to normal rtc. 20-24 inches in year 1 and up to 30 inches by year 3-4... then much much slower. I've been told by keepers in Asia that the golden/platinum version won't grow pass the 24 inch mark but this is entirely false!

coolcomfort

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
USA
Good to know you most likely have the biggest plat RTC on MFK. I am skeptical when it comes to plat RTC's. I think their longevity is at risk more than the average RTC because they are specifically bred in farms for the platinum color. This can have inverse consequences.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store