play sand?

kraker1983

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2005
IL
i tryed the play sand in one of my 75 gal tanks and i messed up one of my canister filters.

mikehawk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
FL
Thank you. That's kinda what I was worried about.

Will using sand as a substrate cause a cloudy tank with active fish, or does it settle pretty quickly? And if sand gets sucked up into a filter, will it screw up the impeller?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to find out if the low cost is too good to be true.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
mikehawk said:
Thank you. That's kinda what I was worried about.

Will using sand as a substrate cause a cloudy tank with active fish, or does it settle pretty quickly? And if sand gets sucked up into a filter, will it screw up the impeller?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to find out if the low cost is too good to be true.

If your python tube is long enough, it wont suck it up...if it does you can always try to turn the water pressure down to reduce the suction. I have sand in mine, with a catfish that LOVES to stir it up, it always just settles right back down, never cloudy. If your sand happened to get into the imppellers it would probably make it noisy and screw it up....but you will be fine unless you have some diggers. What are you planning on having in this tank, and how far will the filter intake be from the sand?

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
contender said:
so, i guess an undergravel filter system woldnt be the best choice for this substrate?

suggestions for a good filter type?

thanks in advance.

Im using a wet/dry and the intake is about 4" from the top of the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store