Please help im a beginner

❤️ my yellow lab

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2023
Welcome to the forum!
Post some pics of the fish, there are plenty of people here who can properly ID most mbuna.
Most Cichlids aren’t too picky - they’ll eat anything. Most pellets formulated for African cichlids should suffice, and you can supplement with algae wafers.
How new is the tank? How long have the fish been in there? Both of those could answer why they are not eating.
Hi there.thanks for your post.right so they are eating flakes but I thought maybe the pellets would be best,as the flakes they don't eat I net out and can find this quite difficult esp when it lands...I read when you feed them anything left over try and take straight out the tank...not only because of this reason but also I read that pellets were in fact better than flakes for them..il take some pics when up and if you or anyone could advise on what's best.please do .I've had them over 3 months so a little while. I had the tank same amount of time..they seem happy little fellas or girls..when they here my voice they start looking for me they really do.they will swim to each end looking out to see where I am ...if I'm on the phone il look round to see them all staring at me .there personalities are absolutely priceless 💖 ..thanks again

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
Welcome to the forum, there's a lot of help here. As mentioned a picture would help identify your fish, but I think you're fine for a few months. I would probably try to get a 190l, 50 gal or bigger long term though. As for the pellets, what brand are they? It's common for fish to be picky when switching foods, but keep trying, don't give them anything else for a few days while trying the pellets and they may take them when they get hungry. Even if they refuse the pellets they'll be fine without eating for a couple of days. It sounds like you're doing a lot right. This can be a confusing hobby when you first get started but it sounds like you've learned a lot already and are putting in the work to keep them healthy. Good for you! You also may consider some type of small bottom feeder like a bristlenose pleco or rubber lip pleco. There's many that would quickly outgrow your tank but these 2 kinds stay small and can help with algae, but also will eat the food that escapes .

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Do you think the tanks to small??oh no I hope im not doing anything to hurt the little guys.. 😔 I really love them...I've had them for 3 months now...as I said I made the terrible mistake of getting them without even knowing anything about them...I quickly realised these fish are not for the faint hearted...something I read once..I'd set all the tank up before they came here.the only reason I ended up with 5 is because I got 2 and the lady sold me a huge one and the little yellow lab..well the big one chased the little one round the tank non stop and honestly I couldn't watch that.so she's said oh yeh you need atleast 5...I told her the size tank I have...I'm getting a new one in january its a 120l...do you think they will be fine in that size?also it's just the pellets they can't eat the spit them out...I think il get this tank sooner if its in anyway distressing these beutifull fishxxx
120 liters is 31 gallons, much too small long term for them. You need a minimum of 40 gallons to happily keep your labs (preferably larger like 50+). The best choice is to get rid of the yellow labs if you can't get a tank that's larger.

Do not despair, there are plenty of appropriate fish that are just as beautiful, for example, Blue rams, Angelfish, a certain other smaller cichlid species. These guys here can really help you turn your tank into a masterpiece that you'll love. Trust me, I know.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Also, you're not hurting them now. But once they get larger, it will be a problem. These guys get around 4-6 inches, not appropriate long term for a 20 or 30 gallon.

Reactions: AR1

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Only a few mbuna species would work out in a 120 L. I tried keeping a group in a 36 gallon tank and constantly struggled with keeping them from killing each other. Eventually it fully broke down and one by one even the toughest dropped.
Getting a 4 foot tank would make your life (and theirs) a lot easier in the long run.
One thing I’ve found that helps reduce uneaten food is to feed slowly. Put in a little at a time to allow the food to get eaten up before adding more.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
120 liters converts to 31 gallons, probably still too small. What is the shape of the tank and how long is it?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
120 liters converts to 31 gallons, probably still too small. What is the shape of the tank and how long is it?
Based on the description of a built in filter, I want to guess it’s the fluval flex 32, but I could be totally wrong.

❤️ my yellow lab

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2023
Based on the description of a built in filter, I want to guess it’s the fluval flex 32, but I could be totally wrong.
Hi the shape is rectangle il add pics of it .am gutted to think I've act done more harm than good...the thought if having to get rid is totally devastating for me....they are my buddies n I love them very much.lol, but obviously it's whats best for them at end of the day xx

• Sad
Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

❤️ my yellow lab

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2023
Welcome to the forum, there's a lot of help here. As mentioned a picture would help identify your fish, but I think you're fine for a few months. I would probably try to get a 190l, 50 gal or bigger long term though. As for the pellets, what brand are they? It's common for fish to be picky when switching foods, but keep trying, don't give them anything else for a few days while trying the pellets and they may take them when they get hungry. Even if they refuse the pellets they'll be fine without eating for a couple of days. It sounds like you're doing a lot right. This can be a confusing hobby when you first get started but it sounds like you've learned a lot already and are putting in the work to keep them healthy. Good for you! You also may consider some type of small bottom feeder like a bristlenose pleco or rubber lip pleco. There's many that would quickly outgrow your tank but these 2 kinds stay small and can help with algae, but also will eat the food that escapes .
Screenshot_20231019_150140_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231019_150130_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231019_150056_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231019_145356_Gallery.jpg

20231019_143853.jpg

Reactions: Cal Amari
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store