Please Help Me I don't know what this is or what to do

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Now ik I'm going to be the cruelest sounding person here when I suggest this but if you have a hospital tank I would recommend placing him in there with preferably only with a few inches of water in it so he can easily still get air from the surface. Now that's not the cruel part, the cruel part comes with this next suggestion of amputating the affected limbs of the axolotl. Now yes it may be cruel but it may also save his life in the end too. Those legs of his look severely damaged beyond repair so the best course of action imo is to amputate the limbs and let him regrow new ones. Axolotls are the masters of cellular regeneration and can regrow body parts and major organs withing as little as a few weeks, so removing the limbs isn't a death sentence like most ppl would think.

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Now ik I'm going to be the cruelest sounding person here when I suggest this but if you have a hospital tank I would recommend placing him in there with preferably only with a few inches of water in it so he can easily still get air from the surface. Now that's not the cruel part, the cruel part comes with this next suggestion of amputating the affected limbs of the axolotl. Now yes it may be cruel but it may also save his life in the end too. Those legs of his look severely damaged beyond repair so the best course of action imo is to amputate the limbs and let him regrow new ones. Axolotls are the masters of cellular regeneration and can regrow body parts and major organs withing as little as a few weeks, so removing the limbs isn't a death sentence like most ppl would think.
Unfortunately the OP axolotl passed away but I agree, unlike other animals, axolotls have the ability to regenerate limbs and even organs so getting rid of the fungus may have been a more effective option.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Unfortunately the OP axolotl passed away but I agree, unlike other animals, axolotls have the ability to regenerate limbs and even organs so getting rid of the fungus may have been a more effective option.
Yeah it's may be a cruel thing to do to an animal but atleast it would've prevented the fungus from spreading to the rest of the body theoretically. That sucks to hear that it passed away already, but to be fair it was already far enough gone for me to even entertain the idea of amputation in the first place. From how it looked in the pics it looked like his legs were all mangled from another axolotl so I'm guessing that was probably the cause of the fungus infection. This is why most ppl recommend only 1 to a tank since they are a reaction predator with horrible eye sight and are prone to accidentally biting tank mates.

Reactions: Rayfishowner
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store