Please help me interpreting API test kit results.

Kashif314

Jack Dempsey
Original poster
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Its either I am color blind or if there is something off here. I am having a hard time distinguishing between the 0 amonia or 0.25 ppm amonia. It looks same. With a sight movement of angels it matches with both colors. In the below picture it somehow looks 0 ppm but even the slightest angel change makes it matching with 0.25 ppm. Please let me know shall I take it 0 or 0.25 ppm?

20190914_062459~01.jpg

Then comes the most trickiest part. I am sure its not me only. Can you guys see any difference between 10 ppm or 20 ppm Nitrate color chart? I don't see any difference. Both are identical. Is it me or or if you also have issues matching such minor changes?

20190914_065455~01.jpg

Please advise how can I accurately check my readings? My amonia is 0 or 0.25 ppm? And how to check for 10 ppm and 20 ppm Nitrate readings difference?

esoxlucius

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The ammonia chart isn't that bad really, there is a noticeable difference between the bright yellow of 0ppm and the ever so slight lime green of 0.25ppm. Your reading is looking like a 0ppm to me, all good.

It's the nitrate chart that's tricky, API really need to get their act together and do something about it. The difference between 10-20ppm and 40-80ppm is almost impossible to see.

All I do now is look at it like this, anything orange is acceptable, anything red and it's water change time.

Kashif314

Jack Dempsey
Original poster
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
The ammonia chart isn't that bad really, there is a noticeable difference between the bright yellow of 0ppm and the ever so slight lime green of 0.25ppm. Your reading is looking like a 0ppm to me, all good.

It's the nitrate chart that's tricky, API really need to get their act together and do something about it. The difference between 10-20ppm and 40-80ppm is almost impossible to see.

All I do now is look at it like this, anything orange is acceptable, anything red and it's water change time.
Thanks a lot. Yes your idea of seeing makes perfect sense. I ll watch it as you suggested. Big thanks bro.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Learned this from Duane. Buy a gallon of Deionized water or Distilled water and use to rinse out your testing vials. Regular tap water doesn't remove all the residue from the testing chemicals l found out. This could always make some test give false readings.

Reactions: bobblehead27

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Learned this from Duane. Buy a gallon of Deionized water or Distilled water and use to rinse out your testing vials. Regular tap water doesn't remove all the residue from the testing chemicals l found out. This could always make some test give false readings.
The gallon of Deionized and Distilled water will last awhile and not that expensive.

Reactions: bobblehead27
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store