Please help!

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
He appears to be a lake Malwai Mbuna. Known as the rock fish, as their native habitat is full of rocks. Which they like to hide and stay close too.

Synod catfish, and pleco's are touph skinned, and generally compatible. Most other fish sold at pet stores, are going to be injured by an African cichild.

They are typically very territorial, and don't like trespassing on their space. So lots of cover and line of sight breaks, help them feel secure.

Reactions: Mistacooldude2

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I’ve read up on the nitrogen cycle from the link you sent me and got the master water test kit. I cycled the new tank with some of his old media and got the levels perfect. He went in and started exploring with no transition issues at all. I am so relieved. I was having anxiety over getting everything perfect for him.
Thank you again for all of your help in getting through that!
We are considering the tank mates but I’m afraid if anyone getting hurt so still thinking
Good stuff! I'm sure ganta will appreciate it :)
As far as tankmates go- you can definitely have some other cichlid tankmates in the 55 with him if you want. The most difficult part would be introducing them without ganta attacking the newcomers. What I would recommend is this- when you buy the new fish, get 3-4 at a time, so that ganta is distracted and can't single one out. On the day you add the new fish, do a water change and move the rocks and décor in the tank around, so his territory is disturbed. When you put the new fish in, turn the lights off for a day to let them get settled in. If you can get fish close to the same size, that would be better as well. It would be a good idea to get a Net Breeder and have it on hand- this way if ganta attacks the new fish, you can put him in the net breeder for a few days while the new fish get used to the tank, then release him, and hopefully will have better luck.

Net breeder looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Nylon...pID=414uimxNZhL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store