Please ID this dat

blacktip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Cali
Okay, I've had this guy for a year. I bought him for $30 at 2" long and he is now just about 4". I think I know what type he is, but I want all of your opinions as well. Anyways, let me know what you guys think.

blacktip_dat_06122006.jpg

moxxommox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2006
Australia, Sydney
I'm not a datto fan but I would guess either, Datnioides pulcher or Datnioides microlepis.

if it was up to me, and money being places, I would not be willing to part with my money, but for a free chance, I would assume it's a Datnioides microlepis, or comm: Indonesian Datnoid.

Like I said, I'm not big on the dats.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

BDawg364

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2006
Milledgeville/Alpharetta
I'm not sure the species, but I love the pattern and the coloring, with the two spots and the awesome tail stripes. Is it the same on the other side? Either way, not a bad p/u for $30.

blacktip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Cali
I'm not sure the species, but I love the pattern and the coloring, with the two spots and the awesome tail stripes. Is it the same on the other side? Either way, not a bad p/u for $30.
The other side has one spot that is just a little larger than the two on this side. I really like his pattern as well. I have yet to see any others like him.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I would also guess microlepis

PufferXtreme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2006
UK
Indo Dat, there are too many stripes on the caudal peduncle to be a wide bar (pulcher). I belive this is a fairly safe way to ID.

truman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Indo dat.

Besides stripe and colour intensity. I find Indons have a slightly more longish body shape with a more tapering snout. While STs have a squarish body with a more pronouced snout.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store