Please take a look at our failing GIANT GSP

PufferCorps

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2016
hayward ca
www.pufferfishrescue.org
I'm turning to you, the Master Fish Men,

Please watch the vid and tell me what you think.
I've decided to go in will General Cure food soak, which I doubt he will eat at this point.
This guy was the smallest ( 5.5" ) but was as robust as his buddies.

These guys mean the world to me. Any suggestion are greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

PufferCorps

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2016
hayward ca
www.pufferfishrescue.org
It started last week as a bump on his chin. It must have been painful, as he was interseted in food but couldn't get much of a chomp. This week he's terribly listless and I think he ate a few worms.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Don’t see the bump mentioned but if it’s stressed and not eating. Opportunistic pathogens will still invade. Would dose with the general cure and see what happens. If not willing to eat then last resort would be to force feed. Keep the water clean. Fat Homer Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Pretty much what kno4te kno4te said, i didnt see the bump either but based on the dark belly and washed out colors i’m guessing something is stressing it out...

PufferCorps PufferCorps i’m also going to presume you eliminated tank parameters being out of sync???

If so, i would maybe look into some of the following:

1. Are the tankmates possibly picking on the smaller puffer when you’re not around / after lights out???

2. Is there any other signs the puffer maybe sick at all (other than the bump)...

3. Could some of the food you fed your puffer have been contaminated with something by chance???

4. This ones a real reach, but any chance of stray electrical current??? Although this one would more than likely effect the other puffers too...

5. If you feed hard shelled foods maybe something got lodged inside your puffer causing it discomfort???

6. I would also keep an eye on the puffer to make sure its pooping normally, coz it may even be a simple case of constipation and just requires some epsom salt to help him do his business...

7. FINALLY, it could even be a matter of your puffer just sulking, so depending how long hes been like he is in the video, it may or may not be much to worry about...

But otherwise, see how the general cure goes first and keep an eye out for any changes...

Last edited:

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Yeah I really can't tell anything besides it looks stressed.

These are very susceptible to ailments if not kept at high brackish/full sw at this size though from my experience. Not saying they're not just a general statement.

Homer has you covered on the rest. Process of elimination

PufferCorps

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2016
hayward ca
www.pufferfishrescue.org
Don’t see the bump mentioned but if it’s stressed and not eating. Opportunistic pathogens will still invade. Would dose with the general cure and see what happens. If not willing to eat then last resort would be to force feed. Keep the water clean. Fat Homer Fat Homer
The bump disappeared, but he's still not eating.
I think he ate a few GC soaked blood worms.
Do you think I should also dose the tank? It's 125 gallon's and his buddies will get it too. I considered moving him to a hospital tank, but the stress of separation would only make things worse, unless you think it's necessary. I've been lucky to have only had to do that once before for these big guys, and the hassle sucks but i'll go there if I have to.
Force feeding? oh man, I've burped em before, trimmed their teeth, removed a tumor (lost that patient), I'll google it.
Thank you!!

PufferCorps

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2016
hayward ca
www.pufferfishrescue.org
Yeah I really can't tell anything besides it looks stressed.

These are very susceptible to ailments if not kept at high brackish/full sw at this size though from my experience. Not saying they're not just a general statement.

Homer has you covered on the rest. Process of elimination
I have the tank between 108-115 sg. Is that about right? So far so good, but i've wondered about that.
Thanks!!

PufferCorps

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2016
hayward ca
www.pufferfishrescue.org
Pretty much what kno4te kno4te said, i didnt see the bump either but based on the dark belly and washed out colors i’m guessing something is stressing it out...

PufferCorps PufferCorps i’m also going to presume you eliminated tank parameters being out of sync???

If so, i would maybe look into some of the following:

1. Are the tankmates possibly picking on the smaller puffer when you’re not around / after lights out???

2. Is there any other signs the puffer maybe sick at all (other than the bump)...

3. Could some of the food you fed your puffer have been contaminated with something by chance???

4. This ones a real reach, but any chance of stray electrical current??? Although this one would more than likely effect the other puffers too...

5. If you feed hard shelled foods maybe something got lodged inside your puffer causing it discomfort???

6. I would also keep an eye on the puffer to make sure its pooping normally, coz it may even be a simple case of constipation and just requires some epsom salt to help him do his business...

7. FINALLY, it could even be a matter of your puffer just sulking, so depending how long hes been like he is in the video, it may or may not be much to worry about...

But otherwise, see how the general cure goes first and keep an eye out for any changes...
This puffer was the unfortunate victim of a W/C accident when he was only an inch or so long. .The siphon suddenly stopped, I looked down the tube, and saw these eyes looking back. He was stuck tail first, and rather than poking him out i blew him back into the tank. He's had a black belly ever sense.
Thank you for the helpful list! Some of those I haven't thought of.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The bump disappeared, but he's still not eating.
I think he ate a few GC soaked blood worms.
Do you think I should also dose the tank? It's 125 gallon's and his buddies will get it too. I considered moving him to a hospital tank, but the stress of separation would only make things worse, unless you think it's necessary. I've been lucky to have only had to do that once before for these big guys, and the hassle sucks but i'll go there if I have to.
Force feeding? oh man, I've burped em before, trimmed their teeth, removed a tumor (lost that patient), I'll google it.
Thank you!!
Yes can dose the tank but sometimes meds for ip are better when ingested. Other puffer keepers had to sedate the fish and feed via a syringe. Not sure of other options. Haven’t thought about something like that either myself. But hope it gets better.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
The salinity sounds to be at a high brackish level already, so im not sure if raising it to full marine will do much? Then again, i’ve not kept full grown GSP before so i can’t say with any certainty...

If he did try eating then that at the least is a good thing, so best bet is to keep watching out for any signs of getting better / worse...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store