Pleco anal fin?

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
Our Pleco has a split to his anal fin. Is it normal/has always been there or an injury?

We saw squiggly with his fins all out and splendiferous but noticed there is what looks like a split in his anal fin. Then the debate started - have we actually seen his anal fin before, maybe it was always like that. I can’t seem to find anything on google that resembles it, he has been in the same tank 6 years and is otherwise healthy. His tank is too small but we are actively searching for a larger tank. His ph levels, nitrates, etc are all good and his last water change was a little over a week ago. Nothing new in the tank, and no sharp edges.

46530821-CF0E-412C-A452-817DE5E81006.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Not normal. Maybe just a tear on the decor it’s sitting on. Cont with the clean water and if it’s eating....then it should grow back.

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
Update: we noticed a few lost scales on our goldfish, the only other fish in the tank. I think it’s higher rate of chlorine/chloramine but am already using prime. Opting to let the water sit for longer with Prime and see if that helps.
suggestions?

Current Reasoning:
I had researched extensively after a tragic loss 3 years ago (a LOT of help came from this site) and the likely cause was our city water. From what I read, many cities
a) change their chem additions from time to time, particularly in winter.
b) chlorine takes longer to dissipate in the winter
c) chemicals may leech from city pipes in the winter
d) read about other multiple people (not where I live) who lost their whole aquarium about the same time as others in their neighborhoods- all without a changes in routine- only to find out later it was from the above causes.

anything else to check for /do ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store