Pleco Food

THOSranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2019
Houston, TX
So at my part time job we have what looks like a 55 gallon high tank and in it are 4 varying types of tetras, one 8 inch pleco and 1 2 inch Candy Striped pleco. Unfortunately no one really cares for the tank and I find myself having to do water changes on my free time. (Apparently they did them only once every 4-5 weeks.) The pleco seems to have stopped growing due to the cramped space and has also begun to get skinnier if thats even a thing. Compared to my pleco which is only about 5-6 inches, this pleco is half his girth. Does anyone know of some kind of food I could buy that could possibly help it get a little better.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So at my part time job we have what looks like a 55 gallon high tank and in it are 4 varying types of tetras, one 8 inch pleco and 1 2 inch Candy Striped pleco. Unfortunately no one really cares for the tank and I find myself having to do water changes on my free time. (Apparently they did them only once every 4-5 weeks.) The pleco seems to have stopped growing due to the cramped space and has also begun to get skinnier if thats even a thing. Compared to my pleco which is only about 5-6 inches, this pleco is half his girth. Does anyone know of some kind of food I could buy that could possibly help it get a little better.
That's nice of you to be concerned about the Pleco's. I'm taking a guess and assuming they are regular common Pleco's so personally would pickup Algae Wafer for Pleco's.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It seems to me that lack of food is just the tip of the iceberg why this pleco isn't thriving. Cramped living quarters and lack of tank maintainance will play a huge part in its wellbeing too.

Good for you for doing water changes in your spare time. The regular clean water will help, a bigger tank even better. Then, with a good diet it should recover.

THOSranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2019
Houston, TX
It seems to me that lack of food is just the tip of the iceberg why this pleco isn't thriving. Cramped living quarters and lack of tank maintainance will play a huge part in its wellbeing too.

Good for you for doing water changes in your spare time. The regular clean water will help, a bigger tank even better. Then, with a good diet it should recover.
Unfortunately I don't think they will be buying it a new tank anytime soon since they only have space for the 55 gallon. But I'll be trying my best to keep the water parameters to the best I can.

THOSranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2019
Houston, TX
Here's a pic of the big boy/girl. Doesn't come out very often since we often have multiple people walking around the office.20191110_144141.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store