Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID

Daniel Blom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
WyldFya said:
[You definitely have a hoplogenys. Main thing is that it has the rounded tail found in so few species.
When it comes to catfishes, I trust Planet Catfish more than Fishbase (which can be a bit slow when names change).
According to Ingo Seidel and others, L183 is A. dolichopterus.
The brown fish often sold as "A. dolichopterus" is probably a hybrid.
And in "Wels Atlas 2", A. hoplogenys is shown with red markings instead of white on the fins!

YSR50

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Chicago-ish
GraFFix said:
I just picked this guy up today, hes about an inch and a half in size. I was told he is a rare breed of bristlenose but I just wanted to get a second opinion. It really dont matter what he is, I just think he looked cool. Hes a keeper either way. :) For $9.99 i didnt want to pass it up.
nice L183 :thumbsup:

just a heads up, I believe they are a black water fish

I see you're from Chicago, do you mind me asking where you picked it up?

GraFFix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
N.W. Chicago
Wow, thanks for all the replies...Now at least I know what it is. Maybe ill go back and get another.

I know from the pic it looks brown but in the tank he looks jet black with white dots but he may very well be dark brown...my eyes can be decieving sometimes. I just had to take the pics with flash on because he was hanging out under a ledge on the driftwood. The only way I found him was the white on the tips of his fins. :)

Thanks again for the help.

GraFFix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
N.W. Chicago
YSR50 said:
nice L183 :thumbsup:

just a heads up, I believe they are a black water fish

I see you're from Chicago, do you mind me asking where you picked it up?
I dont mind at all I got it from...

King Coral Aquarium
5541 W Montrose Ave
Chicago, IL 60641
(773) 283-5618

They had about 6 more in the tank...the lady was unsure of the price, so she tried to call her husband for the price but couldnt get in touch with him so shes like hows $9.99 sound...Sounded good to me! Ill bet their going to cost more unless he hasnt priced them yet. :)

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Daniel Blom said:
When it comes to catfishes, I trust Planet Catfish more than Fishbase (which can be a bit slow when names change).
According to Ingo Seidel and others, L183 is A. dolichopterus.
The brown fish often sold as "A. dolichopterus" is probably a hybrid.
And in "Wels Atlas 2", A. hoplogenys is shown with red markings instead of white on the fins!
In general planet catfish is more unreliable IMO. As anyone can post information on the site. I have seen many things on planet catfish that are wrong, or outdated. While yes I do agree that Fishbase is sometimes slow with name changes, they are still acurate with the information.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
WyldFya said:
In general planet catfish is more unreliable IMO. As anyone can post information on the site. I have seen many things on planet catfish that are wrong, or outdated. While yes I do agree that Fishbase is sometimes slow with name changes, they are still acurate with the information.
:iagree:

Waldo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Spokane WA
It's a crummy picture retake it with the dorsal and caudle fin for an acurate identification.

Waldo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Spokane WA
davo said:
I disagree. PC has ichthyologists that are legally capable of identifying fish.. While information is not always correct it is usually more up to date then FB. FB for insteance recognizes acanthicus adonis growing like 10 " if you go into the forum not the catelog and get post a question experts will usually ansewr.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store