Plecos and salt-research based awnser lookout

Savethemall

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
Hi, im looking for an established awnser on this question wether plecis, especialy hypostomus plecostomus has any speciel senstivity to salt in theraputic levels(0.5%). I dont want any rumured awnsers.. looking for researched based stuff.
And in addition the same q about bichirs
Thank you very much

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
I've used salt a couple of times with good effect for what I was treating. That said, my L95s always responded poorly. Can't tell you if that's just my personal situation or indicative of something to be expectant of. All of my other plecos (of which there are many) never had issues with it.

Savethemall

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
I've used salt a couple of times with good effect for what I was treating. That said, my L95s always responded poorly. Can't tell you if that's just my personal situation or indicative of something to be expectant of. All of my other plecos (of which there are many) never had issues with it.
Hi, thanks for responding, idk very well about plecos types, but is 95 is common pleco? Beacuase im interested speciifc on theyr reaction. And btw what do you mean poorly? Did it hurt him in some way?

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
L95 is the Pseudorinelepis genibarbis or Orange Cheek Pinecone. I mean poorly as in two of mine died.

Not clue if there's anything scientific there or not, just my experience. I've had my current one for a couple of years now and zero issues but also zero salt.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’m not sure about studies, but plecos are not known to do well in saltwater or even brackish. I’m sure they can tolerate very low salinities but probably nothing higher than 1.002 (which I’m pretty sure still counts as fresh).

Savethemall

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
First of all 1% is very high. Theraputic dise for ling bath shoukdnt exxceed 0.5. Second im interested, based on what arevyou saying that? Articles? Personal exp?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I've treated a tank with ich and a common pleco in it. Salt dosing was around 3ppt (1 tablespoon of fine salt per gallon for 2 weeks). No issues with the common pleco, and he went through about 3 treatments in the 19 years with me (before being rehomed).

Reactions: Matteus

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
First of all 1% is very high. Theraputic dise for ling bath shoukdnt exxceed 0.5. Second im interested, based on what arevyou saying that? Articles? Personal exp?
Freshwater is 1.000, marine is 1.018-1.025.
This is based on what I’ve read about pleco salinity tolerance on other forums or general knowledge on most freshwater species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store