Plexiglass lined plywood

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Acrylic absorbs water??? How do you explain the hundreds of thousands of acrylic tanks all across the planet?
It does, but only to a small degree. Acrylic tops warp because the side exposed to the water expands. There have been threads on the plywood/acrylic hybrid tank before, and the general consensus is no, mostly due to differing expansion/contraction of wood and acrylic.

xyz12373317

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2008
Idaho
It sure seems like a plywood tank could be line with glass and silicone . the glass would water proof, the plywood would provide support, and silicone would hold it altogether and provide flexibility between the wood and glass.

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
Acrylic absorbs water??? How do you explain the hundreds of thousands of acrylic tanks all across the planet?
The better professional tank builders, use extra thick acrylic and have a solid top with cut-outs, so that the warping pressure is counteracted. Without braces or a solid top, the tank will bow out from the warpage like you wouldn't believe, even when the tank is completely empty. If the acrylic is too thin, the top or braces may crack and then the seams will fail.

wow_it_esploded

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Over The Rainbow
PVC sheets are, last time i checked, pretty expensive.

Nighthawk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2007
In the woods
I have acrylic and glass tops on my 180. The acrylic has bowed down. I assumed from gravity pulling it down and it not being as rigid as glass. Does this mean if I take the acrylic tops off and let them sit they'll become straight again when the dry out?

Sorry OP for the thread hijack.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
I have acrylic and glass tops on my 180. The acrylic has bowed down. I assumed from gravity pulling it down and it not being as rigid as glass. Does this mean if I take the acrylic tops off and let them sit they'll become straight again when the dry out?

Sorry OP for the thread hijack.
Yep, it isn't gravity, but the water. While it does seem counterintuitive, it is true. Another option is to flip the lids regularly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store