Plotting a Fahaka Tank

lilacamy931

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2009
Burnemouth
So been out the fish keeping game a long while (think my last fish tank was 5 years ago) but not new to fish keeping and also not new to puffers.

Finally own our own home which means I finally get to have a permanent huge tank. I briefly had a fahaka many many years ago but unfortunately moving accommodation meant we couldn't keep him.

Naturally plotting a 125g+ tank, it will be next year when I install and cycle but in meantime need to get my head back in the game with research of latest best products etc and get reminders of pieces need to get that may have forgotten.

We are in a hardwater area - which type of sand is best for a fahaka?

I plan for there to be a rocky structure centre piece to provide shelter/privacy for puffer. Then embed and add live plants which will dose to keep well grown (forgotten best types of plants for a bigger tank - any tips appreciated).

I do plan to have a shoal in with the fahaka for movement - such as tetras. I am well aware the fahaka may/will not take to them and they might be picked off. For anyone that has had a shoal with this puffer - what shoal size do you recommend.

Lastly - filters - best filters for this size tanks? Water changes of course will be done weekly but need a good filter recommendation for the messy beast.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Best shoal I had was rainbow fish... large enough to not be swallowed and very peaceful. Depending on the size of the puffer you get (mine was less than an inch!) it can be more about protecting the fahaka from them! But get your puffer used to other fish from a young age... catfish and shoal maybe even a few small cichlids. This gives you a chance of having tank mates to add movement to the tank (fahakas can be a little seditary) and a clean up crew for any bit the fahaka leaves... as they are proper mess b**tards!

I use swimming pool filter sand on all my tanks and it's great (and cheap) as the fahaka will want to bury itself in it. My area is very hardwater as well and I have had no issues.

Tank wise... get as big as you can afford/got room for in your house! My fahaka is in a 7footx2x2 foot and she makes it look small sometimes.

Filter wise, you can't go wrong with the FX6 and depending on the demensions of the tank try getting 2 hooked up.. one on either end to assist in water movement.

lilacamy931

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2009
Burnemouth
Achilles1763 Achilles1763 - thank you so much for the reply!

Thank you for suggestions on possible tank mates - definite food for thought (hopefully not all in the puffers belly though!)

Pool filter sand sounds perfect and easy accessible.

Looking round for tanks at the moment - not too many stores that do big tanks local. Need to check local maidenhead to see if anything, if not will order online. We can definitely fit a 6x2x2 and if can go bigger certainly will.

Ah I remember the FXs - thank you!

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Most Maidenhead aquatics can build any size tank you want really and you can get a pretty good deal which will include delivery and set up in your house. If you're getting a big tank you have no idea how helpful this can be!!! Try to get a 7ft tank through a door way is not simple!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Rummy Nose tetras and your regular neon tetras didnt work for me... my old girl picked off both shoals within a month after each was added...

Started with tetras first, then the rummy nose tetras after someone said they would be fast enough... guess they werent...

lilacamy931

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2009
Burnemouth
We stopped by Maidenhead this weekend and they do have a fantastic selection of well.. everything plus they advised they could special order the fahaka so looks like my one stop shop is going to be there.

Oh no! Fat Homer Fat Homer - I'm going to risk it initially until the podgelet grows out. I might be lucky I am most likely not going to be but at least it will add some colour

I might be going for a 4/5ft as an initial grow out tank then upgrade next year. (If I do this the tank will NOT be its final living tank) I am aware they grow quick

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I had my old girl in a 200G and by the time she reached around 14" the tank did start looking a bit small based on her round ball shape lol...

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Agree with ^^ fahaka get huge (20 inches) and unlike most fish literally thick like a rugby ball... try and get the 6 ft x 2 x 2 at least or after a year or two you will feel bad as they are very active and personable fish. If you think 20 inches is unlikely, think again! Mine is nearly 18 inches in 3 years.

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
I still have my fahaka in a 120, 4x2x2 as he hit 12" in under a year and has really not grown much since then (measured with ruler next to him in tank, not just estimating). I have no problem getting a larger tank, but I am now thinking it's not going to be needed for mine especially as he just sits around unless he sees me and wants food and it seems the 120 is quite a bit more room than he needs even.

Just for reference diet is 90% crayfish with occasional sprilulina pellets or massivor hidden inside of shell, 9% clam. 1% any poor tankmakes I tried to put in with him....

W/C automatic 20% daily reminiralized RO/DI.

Oops forgot about mystery snails. 75% crayfish, 15% mystery snails, 9% clam, 1% poor attempted tankmates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store