Plotting a Fahaka Tank

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I still have my fahaka in a 120, 4x2x2 as he hit 12" in under a year and has really not grown much since then (measured with ruler next to him in tank, not just estimating). I have no problem getting a larger tank, but I am now thinking it's not going to be needed for mine especially as he just sits around unless he sees me and wants food and it seems the 120 is quite a bit more room than he needs even.

Just for reference diet is 90% crayfish with occasional sprilulina pellets or massivor hidden inside of shell, 9% clam. 1% any poor tankmakes I tried to put in with him....

W/C automatic 20% daily reminiralized RO/DI.

Oops forgot about mystery snails. 75% crayfish, 15% mystery snails, 9% clam, 1% poor attempted tankmates.
I remember one member here had one that just didnt want to grow past 4" or something, had his in a decent size tank for the size of fish but just didnt grow... wonder whatever happened to that puffer...

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
I am quite curious about the average fahaka size. I know I have seen posts about it before and of course I am not doubting Achillies's monster, that is clearly huge, but I often wonder about real sizes. It has been my experience that most owners drastically overstate their livestock's size. I know they look huge and one can't imagine a 12" fahaka is only 12"!

I have scoured forums for pics and have not seen many, if any, the size of Achillies but maybe I missed them. It seems to me that 14" is generally average for a large old fahaka.

I would like to see some real measurements, not just a ruler in front of the tank because that still gives some exaggeration. I doubt it will ever happen, but that is one nice thing about the discus world, plenty of pics on rulers!

I have reefs and it's especially terrible when talking clams, I have looked at people's 12" clams that when measured are 8" and 8" clams that are 4". It's crazy.

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
If the tank isn't going to be permanent, just get a used one from craigslist. Getting a new tank is like a new car, lose half the value as soon as it leaves the store. Also, my fahaka took a chunk out of everything I put in with it. yellow lab cichlid chomp, oscar chomp, pleco chomp, fast swimming barbs chomp...

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Okay I haven't measured her but bearing in mind the tank is 24 inches wide... what do you think is her total length?

And before you ask about the blue tinted water... that's what happens when you cheap out on the water conditioner... smh never again.

IMG_5079.JPG

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
Remembering I said the below...

I am not doubting Achillies's monster, that is clearly huge

I have scoured forums for pics and have not seen many, if any, the size of Achillies but maybe I missed them.
Just based on that pic 15" or so.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
I know I wasn't getting stroppy just wanted an unbiased estimation! Still reckon she is 16-18 inches.... but you know about men and there measurement guesses lol..

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
I will show you how I came to my guess:

Here I drew line from side to side in Power Point, that is 24" we know as the width of the tank. Took that same line and moved it to the angle of the fish, that line is 24" long to scale of the tank. I didn't change the length, just the angle.

If I measure that line on my monitor I get 14.5mm. The length of the fish on that same line is hair under 8mm. Now the tale is not flat so the puffer is a bit longer.

I then calculated the ratio 8mm/14.5mm is 0.55. Using that same ratio of the 24" line I get 13.2".

So I got 13" as the size based on that pic, now it's not right against the glass and the tail isn't flat so it should be a bit larger than 13" but I can't imagine that if it was near the glass the change would be much more than 2" at max so I said 15" but really I was thinking bit under.

PPone.JPG

lilacamy931

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2009
Burnemouth
Achilles1763 Achilles1763 - she is beautiful! Gorgeous puff! It is interesting on the size factor and probably differentiates between the male and female species?

My tank is set up with lots of live plants and is stabilising. The mopani wood appears to be going through a cycle with some clear slime.

I have made enquiries on possibility of getting a Tetraodon schoutedeni (I won't hold my breath) but it is a slim chance possibility. If they can't I shall request the fahaka as they will have to order either way. The schoutedeni would suit my conditions more but the fahaka will do as well as long as keep in mind this is a grow out tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store