Plumbing/Sump Help

hartebreak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2020
Got my plumbing and pump in for the 580 gallon tank. I am turning my existing 125 into a sump. I am setting up a Herbie overflow with 2" lines. I have the Reef Octopus Vario S-8 pump which is rated at 2700 GPH, which after my plumbing and 3 feet of head I figure should run right around 2200ish. The output on the pump is 1 1/4" barbed to which I will run 1 foot of tubing before upsizing to 1 1/2" PVC. I purchased and was planning on splitting the 1 1/2" into (2) 3/4" lines which would terminate with 3/4 lock line. My issue is this. I put the pump into a bucket of water and ran it with just the 1 1/4" tubing. It puts out a TON of water and I am afraid with only have the (2) 3/4" outputs I will have a ridiculously fast output. I realize that I only tested it with 1 foot of hose and the pump was pretty much putting out it's max output, but its ALOT of water...... This tank is going to be a Frontosa/Malawi tank and I dont really want a ripping current. Thoughts???

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Got my plumbing and pump in for the 580 gallon tank. I am turning my existing 125 into a sump. I am setting up a Herbie overflow with 2" lines. I have the Reef Octopus Vario S-8 pump which is rated at 2700 GPH, which after my plumbing and 3 feet of head I figure should run right around 2200ish. The output on the pump is 1 1/4" barbed to which I will run 1 foot of tubing before upsizing to 1 1/2" PVC. I purchased and was planning on splitting the 1 1/2" into (2) 3/4" lines which would terminate with 3/4 lock line. My issue is this. I put the pump into a bucket of water and ran it with just the 1 1/4" tubing. It puts out a TON of water and I am afraid with only have the (2) 3/4" outputs I will have a ridiculously fast output. I realize that I only tested it with 1 foot of hose and the pump was pretty much putting out it's max output, but its ALOT of water...... This tank is going to be a Frontosa/Malawi tank and I dont really want a ripping current. Thoughts???
I just ran in to this problem one 2200 gph is not a lot for all that water. I have a 600 gallon with a 120 gallon sump and I was using a jabow dct 20000l and it was not even close for what I needed and I was only running 2 3/4 returns now I went to 2
1 1/4 in to a y in the tank and 2 one inch locline and random flow generator. And a reeflo hammerhead pump. 2 3/4 unless lightly stocked imo is not enough. If i had to do it over o would have driled 4 one inch returns. Get the random flow generator it was well worth it the generator a lot of back pressure but they help a lot to keep the tank clean. My tank was not even over stocked when I started to have problems with filtering.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
That pump will create a very modest, gentle flow in a 580 gallon tank, but should be sufficient for turnover through your sump. You can add more flow in the tank with powerheads if you need it.

IMO, it will in no way be too much flow even at 100% power. You will probably want more flow once you get it running. For that size tank i would probably go with at least 2, maybe even 3 return pumps and run them each at lower power constantly, instead of pushing one to the max all the time.

Reactions: jjohnwm and DN328

hartebreak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2020
I agree that the amount of turnover isnt so high, I just worry that the pump running all that water through 2 small nozzles is going to spray a laser beam of water. Maybe I will split each output with a Y and go with 4 heads.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
I agree that the amount of turnover isnt so high, I just worry that the pump running all that water through 2 small nozzles is going to spray a laser beam of water. Maybe I will split each output with a Y and go with 4 heads.
Get the random flow generator it helps a lot!

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I would add a second return pump. Rule of thumb is to cut the advertised rating in half when choosing return pumps. They are rated at 0 head pressure and at 100% duty. Once you add in head pressure, 90s and restrictive return fittings like loc line you really can expect about half of what they're rated for. That's a large tank and will need lots of turnover to keep water clarity pristine.

Reactions: DN328 and Tj203

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
All good feedback above. For peace of mind I would not be concerned with splitting into 3/4 loc-lines and having too high of output OP.

My tank is only half of yours at 260G and I run a 2800gph DC pump (not turned all the way up, 4 of 6, since fish are small). 1 1/4 ouput as well. All PVC plumbing and I wouldn't even bother upsizing to 1 1/2, but your call.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
It's better to go big in throttle it back in the beginning then removing it and haveing to do it over. My pump was rated at over 5000gph and I was around 1800gph after the check valves, shut offs, unions and 90's. I had to pull it all out and replum it with the tank in place that sucked. I thought I would have enough flow because I had alot of bio media over 400 lb of dry rock and a sump full of Marine pure. But the water was cloudy because I had big cross flow wave makers that would get all the Detritus and poop of the sand but my fillter did not have enough flow to take it out of the water Column. Once I changed to a higher flow pump my water looked way better and I did not have to worry about a nitrate factory in my sand. It is ez and Even more efficient for the pump if you are Throttling it back just always remember to do it on the out flow not intake of the pump.

Reactions: TheWolfman
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store