Plywood 400 - Reef Tank Build

Devaji108

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
After all the fun I'm having pulling up thinset right now from existing tile, I can say that I'd be happy to never have tile in any home I own ever again LOL
lol yeah if you ever have to remove it...you are gonna work for it for sure.

Kput

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2020
I'm on bare slab currently, and with the large tank going in I decided I should go ahead and add some more power, to replace the currently overloaded 15a circuit this tank is on. I cut channels in my slab to run two new 20a GFCI circuits, electrician came in yesterday and got everything ready for me. Conduit and wire is run.

I've decided to also go ahead and add a 1/2 PVC water line in the channel, with an access panel by where the 400 will be. I will move my RO and mixing station downstairs, and run the line to the station so now I don't have to run 50' of tubing across the house to add RO, etc. I will also add in a 1/4" RO line, with the hopes of automating a pump to fill up my RO res in the future. I will finish up the plumbing tomorrow and get everything moved downstairs. Will update once I figure out how to plumb everything in the wall.

20200719_191140.png

20200719_191145.png

20200719_191147.png

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
The build looks great id suggest changing out that pvc for a copper line If it's going in the slab.. There's no going back once that concrete is poured. I wouldn't trust the pvc over time on a pressurized water line. If it fails it could undermine the foundation of your house.

Kput

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2020
So after quite a bit of deliberation, I think I've decided to go with a traditional glass tank on this build.. I really wanted the size of the 400, but after labor, etc. was all added up, it would have been around $1500 for the tank. I can get a planet aquarium 310 for around $2700 delivered, with a crystal front, overflow, etc. This will give me a full viewing area, and more peace of mind from catastrophic leakage.

I'll, sadly, have to start a new build thread.
Fortunately, the 300 will be plenty big for a fully grown cowfish, with plenty of room for other tank inhabitants. The 400, while nice for the extra size, will be more expensive to maintain, and doesn't really add a lot of room for additional livestock comparatively.

Reactions: Devaji108

Devaji108

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
So after quite a bit of deliberation, I think I've decided to go with a traditional glass tank on this build.. I really wanted the size of the 400, but after labor, etc. was all added up, it would have been around $1500 for the tank. I can get a planet aquarium 310 for around $2700 delivered, with a crystal front, overflow, etc. This will give me a full viewing area, and more peace of mind from catastrophic leakage.

I'll, sadly, have to start a new build thread.
Fortunately, the 300 will be plenty big for a fully grown cowfish, with plenty of room for other tank inhabitants. The 400, while nice for the extra size, will be more expensive to maintain, and doesn't really add a lot of room for additional livestock comparatively.

totally understand. I have been looking at the planet 310 my self. I am also on the fence with going glass or DIY plywood for the basement fish only Sw aquarium.

if you have not check out & price glass cages Joe over there has really been taking the company in a new direction . just another option for you . I have been looking at there 300 wide 340 and 375..lol

can you post a pic of your cow fish love those guys!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store