Plywood build

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
I am wanting to build a plywood tank possibly 10’x4’x30”. Just wondering if any of you have built a tank that size and if so would you be willing to share your design with me? Could go 8’x4’x30” as well. I just want to make sure I build it sturdy enough. One of my questions is will doubling up the plywood be effective? Bracing is also something I am concerned about. Just looking for advice.

Thank you in advance!!

GW1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2010
Newcastle, England
I’m currently building an 8x8x8 paludarium with the bottom 4feet as water. I’m building a timber frame then ply lining and fibreglassing.

EighthNotch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2016
I am wanting to build a plywood tank possibly 10’x4’x30”. Just wondering if any of you have built a tank that size and if so would you be willing to share your design with me? Could go 8’x4’x30” as well. I just want to make sure I build it sturdy enough. One of my questions is will doubling up the plywood be effective? Bracing is also something I am concerned about. Just looking for advice.

Thank you in advance!!
I think going 30"+ tall without some sort of additional bracing (not plywood bracing) is going to cause you trouble down the road. The tank itself will stay together, but you'll definitely get some bowing to the point where it will crack whatever you're waterproofing with.

Staying 24" or less will work out better for you IMO, given the length of the tank you're looking to build.

Edit: I am proven wrong. Check out DIFish's build

Reactions: viper0397

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
I think going 30"+ tall without some sort of additional bracing (not plywood bracing) is going to cause you trouble down the road. The tank itself will stay together, but you'll definitely get some bowing to the point where it will crack whatever you're waterproofing with.

Staying 24" or less will work out better for you IMO, given the length of the tank you're looking to build.

Edit: I am proven wrong. Check out DIFish's build
Thank you very much for the info!!

EighthNotch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2016
Thank you very much for the info!!
If you're going for 10ft instead of 7ft like his build I would still consider heavier bracing or going for 15/16" plywood etc. but that's just me. If you kept it shallower I don't think you would have to worry as much.

Reactions: viper0397
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store