Plywood, fiberglass and 800 gallons of water.

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Conner;4029688; said:
This is definitely one of the better builds I've seen on MFK! If I ever get the chance, I'm definitely trying something along these lines (only bigger if I can ;)).

Glad to hear all the fish are doing well. They are some of the nicest cichlids I've ever seen!
Thanks and I hope you do get the chance yourself one day.;)

SayWhat;4029699; said:
This is actually one of the few articles I read completely through without getting bored once!! Awesome project and great job explaining everything in perfect detail. I hope someday I can build something that awesome!!
Thanks. I am happy you found it entertaining.:)

jaw254;4031712; said:
Nice build and video, I would love to build one only a little bigger a oxtagon 12' by 12' by 4' deep a total of arouund 2500 gallons. do you know where I can find out how thick a peice of glass 8' by 4' by ??? thick any suggestions would be a big help, thank you, again really nice build. mine wont need to be heated as it will be holding koi.
Try looking up glass thickness calculators. There is a good one by Rivermud.:)

broken;4037590; said:
I said it on your original build thread and i will say it on this one too,
this is the best ply tank I have ever seen!!!!
both your craftsmanship and your selection of fish cannot be beat.

your tank is the main reason i decided to buy a used 560gal acriylic tank (that was in bad shape)and fix it up to put sa/ca cichlids in it.
I know its not as DIY as yours but im not that confident in my abilitys to seal the glass so this was the next best thing.

once again great job on the tank and detailed explaination on how it was built!!!
Cheers. The 560 sounds like an interesting project.:)

ericntiff;4037801; said:
Now thats cool! never knew you could do that!
:D

RedTailKinG;4037810; said:
soo sooo sick
:)
headbanger_jib;4047020; said:
hadn't seen this till date
and i must say a great work accomplished

quite inspiring too
Thanks mate. ;)

For anyone interested, here's a couple of links with updated pics of some of the occupants.

Pics at post 1 and 39.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320204

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321289

miltoncenteno09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2010
maryland
THX ALOT THAT REALLY HELPS... U SHOULD MAKE A VIDEO TUTORIAL OF YOU BUILDING A TANK FROM SCRATCH IT WILL HELP SO MANY PEOPLE...

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
miltoncenteno09;4073448; said:
THX ALOT THAT REALLY HELPS... U SHOULD MAKE A VIDEO TUTORIAL OF YOU BUILDING A TANK FROM SCRATCH IT WILL HELP SO MANY PEOPLE...
Thanks. I do have a video of all the pics shown in sequence.While it has no words or descriptions it does help to give a better understanding of the process.:)
[YT]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q7nKf_kE4YI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q7nKf_kE4YI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

bubbles123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2009
Fort McMurray, Ab, Canada
I have read your build thread from start to finish a few times. This is a great idea to put it into a new thread without all the extra stuff. Thank you for doing this. Your build is one of the tanks that inspires me to build my own.

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
bubbles123;4082466; said:
I have read your build thread from start to finish a few times. This is a great idea to put it into a new thread without all the extra stuff. Thank you for doing this. Your build is one of the tanks that inspires me to build my own.
Thanks and you're welcome.;)

verruckt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
Tennessee
nice build, i found the build video on youtube few days back and just today realized ur on this site :wall:. anyways, im building a 350ish gallon and have been trying to follow ur process on the inside framing. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329569 is my thread. it'll be a while before its done. im going to put 2 layers of fiberglass over the whole thing, inside and out, and im hoping between the wood and fiberglass everything is stong enough. also painting mine black inside and out . lemme know what u think, again very impressive build.

:headbang2verruckt:headbang2

Dayvydp

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
CTEX
Truly inspires me to try my hand at building a tank of this magnitude. I love your thread and will be using it to try my luck at something around this size. Thanks

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
tonyli;4185196; said:
whoooo, nice, what is the black stuff you put on the wood so it cause water resist, I never know that.
lol..Did you read the thread or just look at the pictures.;)

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Earth
Hi there GT, I am wanting some info and further detail about the front framing and how and where the glass sits.
I am planning a 12'x6'x4' ply tank to replace my 8'x30"x4' 500g tank and the only thing I can not really get a grasp on is the window framing.
Your tank is ajust fantastic and very inspirational, it makes want to dream big!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store