Plywood front panel - acrylic?

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
Hello all. Looking for a front panel for my plywood build. Was originally planning to go glass but the price on acrylic has me thinking. I know dealing acrylic is more difficult due to fact silicone doesnt bond well. That said I know some have had success. Any tips? If it matters planning on going 3/4” thick on either the glass or acrylic. Current plan has a 1” recess in the front panel to mate the plate, roughly 1/2 gap on each side to fill with silicone once the panel is in place.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Think some of the recommendations were 3M MAS 5200 and dow 795. Never used it myself but was successful in the short run. Long game is hard to say.

HowUDoin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2014
Erie PA
There is a YouTube channel, Mandatory Monsters, where the dude has used acrylic panels on plywood and pond liner bills. I will link the one video he made for the plywood build.

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
Thanks all. At this point I’ve researched and researched some more and have yet to find a definitive answer on how to go about it. Also add in the price of the specialty silicone I believe I’m better off going with glass.

Reactions: suckerfish

wannadivesteve

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Oregon
Look in the DIY Plywood aquarium thread in the sticky files at the top of the message board. The very last post is by Stempy, who did a plywood tank with acrylic front with Dow 795. He said after 5 years it looked like new. Everything I've read seems to point to Dow 795 working just fine with fiberglass to acrylic,. It's used in the marine industry all the time, if you've ever been in boat in rough water you'd know what kind of jarring forces windows could take on a boat, if it didn't hold they'd pop right off. I can't say "difinitively" but there's plenty of evidence it'd work.

Reactions: M1A1

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
I went through a similar exercise for a concrete shell and went with glass and I'm glad I did.

If using acrylic, you could drill some holes and bolt on to get a compression seal.

Reactions: Zanzag
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store