Plywood or wood tanks

hardb0iled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
Australia
Yeah I like that tank, nice size!

If you read that thread all the way through, he is debating wether to use acrylic or glass for the viewing window, either can be used but they both have advantages/disadvantages. Acrylic scratches easy but is easier to handle. Dont know how price compares?

Sump trickle(wet/dry) filters are easy to make! All you need is a large enough container for the sump, a sectioned off box at one end which contains the media and some plumbing to direct the water over the media. then a pump to pump the water back into the tank.

This is a very good image of the basic system which I have stolen from another fourm(I hope they dont mind!)

I just built one for my 450l tank using a 30" tank with a glass divider/baffle in it to create the media section. The only other thng you need to worry about is the overflow for the tank and a return pump, but seeing as thoggh you are making a tank from scratch you wont have a problem building an overflow into it.

Make sure you post lots of pics and progress info, I cant get enough of these DIY monster tanks! :thumbsup:

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
That diagram is exactly how mine works, and it works well! I think glass would actually be cheaper....but i cant be for sure without pricing it. Plexi is stronger, but as stated, scratches easier. Glass can scratch too, and if it does its harder to repair that plexi. Try to find a place that makes plate glass for pricing, and if you get me the size you need, i might be able to help you out (there are a few glass factorys around here). If you are looking for plexi check with http://www.mcmaster.com/ and https://selectproducts.com/html/frame2/frames2.htm There are a ton of places that sell it but i'll have to dig some more to find it.

FlammingWoodChuck

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2005
California
When(if, depends on if my mom and dad want it or not(ill have to beg and beg to get probly:D) and if we have place for it) i build it ill take bunches of pix and post em so u guys can see. might be awhile i still have to figure out how much all will be, how to make a sump, how big sump has to be, what filter to use for return, and bunches of other stuff

roamingmotoroman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2005
Michigan
I built and 8 ft x 8 ft x 4 ft tank with 4x4 skelton and 1in thick walls of osb covered in eposy
I thenk took a pond liner and on the front of the tank I set a seal with west systems epoxy and cut my window out of the pond liner to my 1in thick acrylic front sheet

the window instead of being 8x4 is only about 7 x 3

but it is still a monstrous home made beast

JnASabo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2005
Georgia
WOW !
That is an awesome Tank, rallysman
Seriously makes me want to build one.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
JnASabo said:
WOW !
That is an awesome Tank, rallysman
Seriously makes me want to build one.
Thank you:D

roamingmotoroman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2005
Michigan
Got some unfishied pics of the 2000 gallon in my personal gallery

too long since i've worked with stuff like this I can figure out how to attach it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store