PLYWOOD TANKS/ SUCCESS & FAILURE STORIES Planning a plywood tank !!!!!!

captne1212

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2012
connecticut
I'm planning to build a 1000 gallon tank from plywood. I have read alot of threads on here about people using alot of different substances to seal them..My biggest question is not that these hold water, but do they stand the test of time. I have been told that things like pond armor and liquid rubber tend to fail after 2 or 3 years. I want to hear from some people who have had success and from people who have had failure...

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
You're asking the $1000 question right there. It would seem that most people once they get the tank built, quit posting so you never know what happens 1,2 or even 5 years down the road. I tried and tried to find a plywood tank that had been around for years and could not do that when i was researching for mine. As a matter of fact you're not the first, nor the last I'm sure to ask this. I would love to see some of the old schoolers so to speak come out of the woodwork! There are also newer products that have not been around for a long time so it will be impossible to know if they stand the test of time till they have been around long to have had the chance to stand the test of time!!

captne1212

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2012
connecticut
You're asking the $1000 question right there. It would seem that most people once they get the tank built, quit posting so you never know what happens 1,2 or even 5 years down the road. I tried and tried to find a plywood tank that had been around for years and could not do that when i was researching for mine. As a matter of fact you're not the first, nor the last I'm sure to ask this. I would love to see some of the old schoolers so to speak come out of the woodwork! There are also newer products that have not been around for a long time so it will be impossible to know if they stand the test of time till they have been around long to have had the chance to stand the test of time!!
So how did you do yours and was it successful?

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
My build is in my sig. It's only been up for maybe a month now, probably not quite that long so all I can do at this point is hope it will be successful long term. I had 0 leaks when i was done (minus a bulkhead mishap!) so as far as that goes so far so good. I see quite a few people on here have leaks on their first test fill so just going by that I feel that the tank was a success to this point :) Patience is key I think, that and loads of planning. Also if I had anything to do over again I would fiberglass the entire inside of the tank with 3 layers of fiberglass and epoxy, then 5 coats of epoxy on top of that. I was so nervous to mess with fiberglass because of what people had to say about the stuff that I only did the corners and now I regret that because it really wasn't hard to work with at all. I have "heard of" plywood tanks up and running for 15+ years but never have I seen a post by someone with such a said tank. I feel if I can get 5-10 years out of this tank it will have been worth the money :)

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
I can vouch for a 9 year tank and a 3 year tank so far. The 9 year is working on it's second coat of sno-seal. The 3 year was done with marine epoxy and has shown no signs of failure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store