Polleni tank mates

ZafarKB

Feeder Fish
Apr 15, 2019
Hi there, I have just bought a small polleni from the lfs for my 55 gallon tank as I have just moved it’s previous occupants to my sisters tank, however I was wondering what tank mates it could have as he is they only one in there. His tank mates don’t have to be other cichlids however i would prefer them to be (not strongly though).
Thanks

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Paratilapia are usually OK with cichlids that don't look like they do, and fish they cannot swallow.
They are fairly inept as predators, but in a small tank like a 55, nothing small has enough spsce to get away.

If your Paratilapia is young, the 55 may work for a while, but it will soon outgrow the tank.
I kept mine with other non-similar Madagasy cichlids like Paretroplus without aggression in 100+ gallon tanks.

ZafarKB

Feeder Fish
Apr 15, 2019
Hi there,
What size tank are we talking about as I live in the UK and from what I understand, tanks cost more over here? I read that they are good in a 55 gallon, but aggression varies on the fish- as with oscars.
Thanks

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
I would think a 75 gallon would be bare minimum. Mine stayed in a 55 until he was about 4", in that time he tried to eat or kill everything with him. He's in a 125 now with haps and peacocks, but I'm pretty sure he's responsible for the damage I'm seeing on other fish.

ZafarKB

Feeder Fish
Apr 15, 2019
I’m so sorry, I forgot to mention I’m working in uk gallons which is 250l, would he still be ok if he was alone?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
My Paratilapia males have almost all grown to over 12" (except females) so I consider a 6 ft tank of at least 375 liters (100 gallons) minimal, if there are to be any other fish in the tank.
I would think a Paratilapia would ignore a bichir, but I don't have any personal experience with that.
I tried to keep 2 Paratilapia together in a 1500 liter pool, and as you can see below, it didn't work.

In the shot above both were at least 12".

Gabriel_Martucci

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2018
I have kept them with Oscars, Eels, bichirs, Clown knifes, Catfish and Plecos. When mine was small I kept him with some barbs but they get older the get more aggressive. A 55 should be good as it gets older, I keep mine in a 65 without a problem. If I where you I would probably pair him with a medium sized catfish or bichir.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store