Polleni Tankmates

Predator07

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2018
Orlando,FL
So I have a 8inch polleni (male) and want to add possibly him with 3 cichlids in 180gallon tank. Need some advice :help2:

1. Convict
2. Vieja Argentea
3. Parachromis Red tiger mota

Last edited:
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

beau1990

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2018
Stanford Kentucky
Pollen are African cichlids so differing water parameters are a concern, and while a red tiger Mota I'd beautiful I think it would whoop the crap outta the polleni, but I'll leave that to wiser folks here.

OH WISE ONES! ASSEMBLE!
duanes duanes tlindsey tlindsey kno4te kno4te Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Pollen are African cichlids so differing water parameters are a concern, and while a red tiger Mota I'd beautiful I think it would whoop the crap outta the polleni, but I'll leave that to wiser folks here.

OH WISE ONES! ASSEMBLE!
duanes duanes tlindsey tlindsey kno4te kno4te Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7
I honestly agree. Both RTM's and convicts are just too aggressive, the veija I think would be too docile. In my opinion I would try either blue acaras, salvini, or firemouths. Blue acaras would be the best bet tho as they get big enough not to be eaten but will hold there own in a fight if need be. But generally they won't go out of their way to pick a fight either. Hope this helps.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Madagascar, and Central America have similar water, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.
What would concern me would be physical similarities.
Any cichlid with a similar mouth structure, could be considered competition.

Any cichlid with iridescent spots or similar color (especially blue or black like a JD), might be considered competition.
Any cichlid with a similar body shape, also a competitor.

Any two or three of these combined, spells competition, and the possibility of aggression.
I believe resource competition is the major source of aggression with most N.W. and Malagasy cichlids, those similarities meaning, the other species vies for the same resources in nature, and especially in a tank, the lack of space magnifies these instincts.
The best tank mates for my Paratilapia, were other Madagascan cichlids of the genus Pretroplus

Note the very different mouth and head shape, opposite coloration, even fin shape.

Last edited:

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Unlikely to work for long with those cichlids. Argentea and motas are known to have pretty nasty dispositions. Hard to say whether or not a group of male convicts would work out with a big male polleni though. However you cut it, im sure there will be some sparring/aggression at the least.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store