Polleni VS. Bleekeri

Cfremont23

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2020
Hello cichlid enthusiasts, I have had my paratilapia polleni for about 9 months and I had completely forgot that there is a paratilapia bleekeri and I was wondering if anyone knew the difference.

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Hello cichlid enthusiasts, I have had my paratilapia polleni for about 9 months and I had completely forgot that there is a paratilapia bleekeri and I was wondering if anyone knew the difference.
I am not super well versed with Malagasy cichlids so I’m sure someone more versed will chime in. But from what I have been told it has been determined these are the actually the same species, just different populations/ catch locales, with one have larger spotting over the body and the other smaller

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
There is no Paratilapia bleekeri because P. bleekeri is a synonym of P. polleni.
But there are several varieties from different locations and some of them might be undescribed species.

Cfremont23

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2020
There is no Paratilapia bleekeri because P. bleekeri is a synonym of P. polleni.
But there are several varieties from different locations and some of them might be undescribed species.
Ohhh ok thank you for the clarification.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are al least 5 recognized species of Paratilapia, but many are known by location, and species status is in review
P polleni Bleeker 1868
P typus location East Coast 1878
P sp betsleo
P sp Ambalvao
P andapa
and there may be more, and although they all may seem to look similar, when looked at in detail they are not
I have kept at least two, the obvious differences are in size, arrangement and colors of spots.
There are many photos of mine in this Madagascar section.
I acquired my first Paratilapia back in the late 80s
The reason i say at least two, is because the difference in species was not noted back in the 80s when they first arrive on the scene, and inadvertently cross bred, producing aquarium strain hybrids.

Cfremont23

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2020
There are al least 5 recognized species of Paratilapia, but many are known by location, and species status is in review
P polleni Bleeker 1868
P typus location East Coast 1878
P sp betsleo
P sp Ambalvao
P andapa
and there may be more, and although they all may seem to look similar, when looked at in detail they are not
I have kept at least two, the obvious differences are in size, arrangement and colors of spots.
There are many photos of mine in this Madagascar section.
I acquired my first Paratilapia back in the late 80s
The reason i say at least two, is because the difference in species was not noted back in the 80s when they first arrive on the scene, and inadvertently cross bred, producing aquarium strain hybrids.
Ok cool thanks for the answer I'm going to look at it now

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
P. bleekeri can no longer be caught because it doesn’t exist in the location it was discovered, so the only information they have came from 1882 Sauvage

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store