Polleni with Polypterus?

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
I say theyre underrated because while they might be listed online a lot you still very rarely see large ones being kept or encounter people who know anymore than the name of the fish. They may be talked about a lot but it seems they are rarely kept and grown to maturity successfully

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
It's just so stinking cool! Like a little starry oscar. My gf helped me name him Galileo because of all his little "stars"

IMG_8631.JPG

Reactions: magpie

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks! I've been testing my other fish to see how big he needs to get to not be considered food. So far it's looking like if he can grow another .5-.75" he'll be good to go in the big tank. He's definitely got the attitude to survive in there. Little beast chases my teug around the growout if the teug goes for a pellet he wanted

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Just wanted to update this and say that the polleni has been moved to the main tank and is doing great with all the polys. Only fish he doesn't like is a bluegill I have in there. They stay on opposite sides of the tank. But the bluegill will be going in a pond so that's not going to be a problem

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
IMG_9034.JPG IMG_9036.JPG Update: Doing great! Started to ignore the bluegill and has calmed down a ton. Doesn't really start any fights but definitely knows how to end them. Mainly cruises around his little hole in the wood and hangs out in the plants but if anyone tries to push him out he quickly lets them know that won't fly.

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
Polleni are beautiful fish and grow fast. I got my a year ago at about 2 inches he is now approaching 8 inches! He can be aggressive at times, but nothing over the top like a Dovii or Red Devil

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store