** Poly Bite (warning graphic images) **

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Yeah its more of a possible predation thing with me. I'm not saying to not do it I'm saying just be careful. There's a whole thread on just this subject with way more pages of poly on poly crime then I care to look at tbh.
Oh my little bundle of joy endli that I had. Well first off the guy selling it to this 14 yr old who didn't know what it was told me it wouldn't get much bigger then 8" and kinda skinny and a 75 would be great for it for life. So I asked him if it would be ok in with African cichlids he said yeah they come from africa. Let' just say 8 months later I had a 12" endli and not a single African left. It killed anything that was to big to eat.
I get it it was a one off. That was 30 years ago and a lot has changed in the hobby and in information available to us.
I'm not saying that all endli are like that I'm not saying all lj are like that and I'm not saying that no uj could be like that. But it's like stereotyping unfortunately alot of the time there is a grain of truth and it has happened more then once or we wouldn't have stereotypes. I hate to say it like that but look at that thread and see which poly is the perpetrator of the crime the most.....
Once again do as you please I'm not the poly police. I won't tell you you can't do that. Even if I did why would you listen? I will give my .02 cents though do with it as you will.
I'm sorry man but I have to completely disagree with this. Your basing this off of 1 fish 30 yes ago which clearly was a result of user/seller error.

I get the poly bite thread is freaking some of you out but it shouldnt. Heres why, I did a quick count and here's what I came up with give or take a few that I felt were intentionally being fed such as pbb/frog or sen/Feeder fish and may have missed a couple.

Upper jaws bites - 16
Lower jaw bites - 25
The above numbers really don't tell us much as we don't know the entire numbers sampled....plus LJ get bigger and Imo more room for owner error (keeping with tankmates that are too small)

This was more interesting to me.
Poly on poly bites - 13
Poly on non poly bites - 28

A vast majority of these were tankmates that were clearly too small.

Aaaaaand in the end. We have no idea how many of these poly bite pics were taken after the death of it's tankmate (opportunistic feeding)

I'm not trying to be the poly police either but simply telling members uj/lj can't be kept together because your endli ate it's tankmates is passing along incorrect information.

I can list just as many issues upper jaws have given me. I had a nasty gold dust. Would I be correct in telling other members gold dusts are aggressive and shouldnt be kept with others ?

Plus we only hear about what doesn't work. You do realize that plenty of members mix the two with out issue.

From my recollection Hao Hao had a big congi eat a smaller sen. Dr.B Dr.B mixed the two. I myelf had no issues, and burbotman is doing it as we speak.

To add, I've encountered predation once (I can remember) it was a del

I appreciate both of your insights. Ultimately the conclusion I'm drawing will obviously be based on what I'm seeing with my own eyes in my tank. I see one of the most mild fish I've ever owned, eating in direct proximity with other fish that it could swallow up in a second if so inclined.

That being said I'm going to constantly monitor the situation and react accordingly but so far so good, they all get along really nicely, very happy with it. I'll try to get some better pics of the lap and others soon. Thanks J jaws7777 and twentyleagues twentyleagues
You got this bud enjoy your new poly. At the end of the day your experience d enough to know there are no rules. Anything can happen at any given time.

P.s i repplied here as I didn't want to derail your growth thread.

Last edited:

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
This

And this is all I'm saying.
It comes down to the owner.
It definitely does come down to the owner. I just feel like I've been seeing this statement allot lately which is totally fine we are all entiltee to our thoughts. I just don't entirley agree with it and wonder how many people that say the two can't be kept together have actually tried it.

And to be fair I remember Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 ran into some issues. I think his ornate ate his endli or something.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I'm sorry man but I have to completely disagree with this. Your basing this off of 1 fish 30 yes ago which clearly was a result of user/seller error.

I get the poly bite thread is freaking some of you out but it shouldnt. Heres why, I did a quick count and here's what I came up with give or take a few that I felt were intentionally being fed such as pbb/frog or sen/Feeder fish and may have missed a couple.

Upper jaws bites - 16
Lower jaw bites - 25
The above numbers really don't tell us much as we don't know the entire numbers sampled....plus LJ get bigger and Imo more room for owner error (keeping with tankmates that are too small)

This was more interesting to me.
Poly on poly bites - 13
Poly on non poly bites - 28

A vast majority of these were tankmates that were clearly too small.

Aaaaaand in the end. We have no idea how many of these poly bite pics were taken after the death of it's tankmate (opportunistic feeding)

I'm not trying to be the poly police either but simply telling members uj/lj can't be kept together because your endli ate it's tankmates is passing along incorrect information.

I can list just as many issues upper jaws have given me. I had a nasty gold dust. Would I be correct in telling other members gold dusts are aggressive and shouldnt be kept with others ?

Plus we only hear about what doesn't work. You do realize that plenty of members mix the two with out issue.

From my recollection Hao Hao had a big congi eat a smaller sen. Dr.B Dr.B mixed the two. I myelf had no issues, and burbotman is doing it as we speak.

To add, I've encountered predation once (I can remember) it was a del

You got this bud enjoy your new poly. At the end of the day your experience d enough to know there are no rules. Anything can happen at any given time.

P.s i repplied here as I didn't want to derail your growth thread.
Like I said I'm not here to tell anyone what to do. I'm also not going to dig up every thread where something bad happened. I'm saying the same thing you are, be careful when mixing any larger fish with smaller fish. My endli experience was my fault through bed lfs employee info. You are correct that we don't know all the info in the pics /vids in this thread but it's enough of a warning to warrant caution. Im not just basing my cautious warning on my single endli experience or this terrible thread but many other times I've read in a thread that this ate that and it was something larger eating something smaller....but like I said I'm not going to site them or repost them you've read a few as I've seen your condolences in the threads.
It all comes down to this, these are predatory animals and as such you can not full trust them with other animals. Feed them well and oportunistic feeding should be uncommon.
P.s that weeksi is fat! So I'm sure it really doesn't think about chasing or fighting to get someing to eat. Lol

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Uh oh..... gotta watch out for that 7" CB Endli from eating my 20" sp. Vancouver (unknown contaminant)

20180318_094619.jpg

To date. I haven't had a poly eat each other. I've mixed uj and lj together quite a bit. The tragedies I've had are a 13" ornate grabbing on to my 8" ansorgii head, and 15" ornate bite off a piece of my 12" Lap pectoral fin.

Endlis get a bad rap in my opinion. Due to them growing the fastest and large appetite when young. Plus their popularity for captive breds. Mixing and matching polys are no worse than cichlids, catfish, pikes, gars, etc....

I started this thread just for fun and knew some educational discussions would come up, or experiences. No worries on the poly policing. Everyone has their opinions. It's what makes the polypterus species so intriguing. :--)

Last edited:

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Like I said I'm not here to tell anyone what to do. I'm also not going to dig up every thread where something bad happened. I'm saying the same thing you are, be careful when mixing any larger fish with smaller fish. My endli experience was my fault through bed lfs employee info. You are correct that we don't know all the info in the pics /vids in this thread but it's enough of a warning to warrant caution. Im not just basing my cautious warning on my single endli experience or this terrible thread but many other times I've read in a thread that this ate that and it was something larger eating something smaller....but like I said I'm not going to site them or repost them you've read a few as I've seen your condolences in the threads.
It all comes down to this, these are predatory animals and as such you can not full trust them with other animals. Feed them well and oportunistic feeding should be uncommon.
P.s that weeksi is fat! So I'm sure it really doesn't think about chasing or fighting to get someing to eat. Lol
Um..ok.

I was just curious where you guys were coming up with this info. No worries

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Uh oh..... gotta watch out for that 7" CB Endli from eating my 20" sp. Vancouver (unknown contaminant)

View attachment 1305050

To date. I haven't had a poly eat each other. I've mixed uj and lj together quite a bit. The tragedies I've had are a 13" ornate grabbing on to my 8" ansorgii head, and 15" ornate bite off a piece of my 12" Lap pectoral fin.

Endlis get a bad rap in my opinion. Due to them growing the fastest and large appetite when young. Plus their popularity for captive breds. Mixing and matching polys are no worse than cichlids, catfish, pikes, gars, etc....

I started this thread just for fun and knew some educational discussions would come up, or experiences. No worries on the poly policing. Everyone has their opinions. It's what makes the polypterus species so intriguing. :--)
Exactly.
I didn't touch on ornates bad rep and they are uj. I think it's an availability thing also, endli are the most available lj and ornates are a highly available uj that get big. So a lot of bad stories are going to come from them as opposed to retro, congi, butt so on.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I've really only read the last few pages of this thread so my apologies if something I say has already been covered.

Basically you can break it down to survival of the fittest. (there are of course oddities here where smaller more aggressive fish will attempt to take on larger fish, but as I said, oddities). Lower Jaws get bigger, to get bigger they'll usually eat more when younger, especially since they are trying to support their growth spurts. Then it's just a simple case of big fish vs. little fish. Most times upper jaws are left in the dust. But most times I hear of smaller upper jaws (such as senegals) being the victims in a UJ vs. LJ clash. Not very often do you hear of decent sized ornate, teugelsi, or weeksii coming across many problems with LJ. Another factor that is usually the culprit of poly's preying on each other is hunger. If you don't feed a big fish. It will look for little fish to eat. Polys are for the most part pretty chill, I've had a couple that get a little aggressive from time to time, but they mellow out after they've had their temper tantrum. Right now I have 2 8"-10" WC senegals in my 280 with about 8 polys ranging from 18"-24"+ Over the years I have had a LJ eat an UJ and a LJ eat a LJ, both were of my fault because I had gone out of town and left them unfed for about a week and a half. Your always going to have cases of aggression (especially in sub-adults as they out grow each other and attempt to assert dominance) and predation, but as long as you don't give them any excuses, you'll find keeping them in harmony is relatively simple and entertaining. It's just a cool think to be watching your smaller senegal and out of no where a monster Lap comes and dwarfes it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store