Poly stocking advice needed

zimmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Haven't posted on MFK in a long time. Been keeping cichlids for many years but wanting to switch over to a predator tank with a focus on bichirs. I'm setting up a new tank (240G - 8'x2'x2'). Can I keep lower jaw species such as endlicheri in this tank permanently or would they outgrow it? Some of what I've read online suggests that my tank is even too small for ornate bichirs. I'd like to keep bichirs that don't hide all the time and that have enough room to swim around (as opposed to just sit in one spot).

Endlicheri and ornates are the species available to me right now that's why I'm asking about these two.

Any advice would be helpful.

Reactions: clm08k

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Haven't posted on MFK in a long time. Been keeping cichlids for many years but wanting to switch over to a predator tank with a focus on bichirs. I'm setting up a new tank (240G - 8'x2'x2'). Can I keep lower jaw species such as endlicheri in this tank permanently or would they outgrow it? Some of what I've read online suggests that my tank is even too small for ornate bichirs. I'd like to keep bichirs that don't hide all the time and that have enough room to swim around (as opposed to just sit in one spot).

Endlicheri and ornates are the species available to me right now that's why I'm asking about these two.

Any advice would be helpful.
Fill er up!

A 240 is far larger than what many Bichir keepers have. All of the upper jaws will be fine as will any lower jaw that you will be able to get in Canada. Bichirs are flexible fish, the 24" width is fine and the 8 foot length is great

Keep an eye on Spencer jacks website out of Winnepeg. He is moving locations right now but when he gets back into fish he has great quality and reasonable shipping

Share some pics as you get set up

zimmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Thanks for the responses! The polys I've seen available online are WC but not full grown. Does that work?

I'm on Spencer Jack's mailing list and eagerly awaiting him making fish available again. It's felt like forever since he's been up and running.

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Thanks for the responses! The polys I've seen available online are WC but not full grown. Does that work?

I'm on Spencer Jack's mailing list and eagerly awaiting him making fish available again. It's felt like forever since he's been up and running.
With that 240 you are not limited to CB. Cost and availability are your only limitations.
Best of luck with your set up

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thats a great poly tank...wc or cb would be fine in there. Looking forward to seeing somw pics once you get going.

zimmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I picked up two ornates on Sunday. Don't know if they're wc or cb. The bigger one is about 14" and the smaller is about 10". The bigger one was picking on the smaller one initially but things seemed to have settled down.

I have sourced some marbled bichirs that are apparently about 6". They would be too small to add to the main tank, right? I have room in my 110G sump to grow them out a bit but would that still not work due to the territories being established in the main tank?

I'd like to add some more bichirs and some other fish but not sure what my choices are.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'll post photos this weekend after finishing setting up the lights and aquascaping.

Reactions: clm08k

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Marbled bichir meaning endli ?

Bulk it up a bit and it should be fine. My ornate was a jerk to smaller polys but you'll never know unless you try.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store