Polypterus delhezi — some questions

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Honestly i thought endlicheris get to big for my tank?
Could i keep a group of these?

So you mean that bushfish attack other bushfish or do they attack other fish in general?

Is it general better to keep Polypterus CB or WC?
Here in Germany you can only get CB Delhezi from the big farms in Indonesia, there is no private breeder as far as i know.
And WC delhezi cost about 100€ apiece.
I would just stick with your original plan of CB delhezi. With endli, chances are high that you would be forced to sell the bush fish due to predation by the endli.

Gerrit0

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2022
Yes i think i stay with my plan of keeping a group of Delhezi and a group of bushfish.
So i ensure the tank is big enough, even when they get about 30cm or a bit more.

Would you guys recommend the Fluval FX4?
Is it noisy when it stands in the base cabinet?
Or maybe the Aquael ultramax 2000 which must be very quiet but only does 2000l/h where the FX4 does 2650l/h.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Aquael ultramax is not really sold in the US. With electricity being more expensive in Germany, I would go for the lower wattage of the two. I'm guessing the Aquael is due to L/H.

L/H is better for removing particles due to higher flow rate. But, I like quiet, and the L/H doesn't matter much if your ammonia and nitrites are constantly 0ppm. Also, the ambush predators you have would prefer lower flow in the aquarium.

So Aquael sounds like the best option

Last edited:
Reactions: The Masked Shadow

Gerrit0

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2022
Aquael ultramax is not really sold in the US. With electricity being more expensive in Germany, I would go for the lower wattage of the two.
True, and i think through Conflict between Ucraine and Russia cost of fossil fuels will even get worse.
So propably i will get the Aquael Ultramax 2000.

I meant that they can be aggressive to other bush fish
Okay Thank you!

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I have an Fx5 and it’s not too loud. It does whir like a normal filter, but it isn’t too loud. Mine is also out in the open.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
I would just stick with your original plan of CB delhezi. With endli, chances are high that you would be forced to sell the bush fish due to predation by the endli.
Oh lol I didn’t know he was getting bushfish.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
You could try senegals, moke, palmas, retropinnis bichirs since they are upper jaw and stay relatively smaller. 5 delhezis may seem very little in a 6ft unless you add heavy deco. Just my 2 cents

Gerrit0

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2022
Are the Delhezi more or less active Polypterus?

You could try senegals, moke, palmas, retropinnis bichirs since they are upper jaw and stay relatively smaller. 5 delhezis may seem very little in a 6ft unless you add heavy deco. Just my 2 cents
IMO the Delhezi and ornatipinnis are the most beautiful Polypterus, but for ornatipinnis i find the tank too small.
I‘ll try to make it look like a biotope with many woods and big african plants.
So i think 5 should be ok if I add a group of bushfish too.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Are the Delhezi more or less active Polypterus?

IMO the Delhezi and ornatipinnis are the most beautiful Polypterus, but for ornatipinnis i find the tank too small.
I‘ll try to make it look like a biotope with many woods and big african plants.
So i think 5 should be ok if I add a group of bushfish too.
Depends on the del and which species you compare it too... It's generally less active than polli and senegals, but more active than mokes

My WC delhezi fell in this active range (from active to least active)

polli, senegal, retropinnis, palmas/delhezi, moke

The palmas and delhezi were close in activity level, but when given a place to hid, the delhezi hid more, but not as much as the moke who barely even moved when not hiding

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store