Polypterus + flagtail prochilodus?

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I've wanted one of these for ages, and the LFS has a small one I was thinking about buying to grow out with my three small ornates (ornates are about 8cm, prochilodus is about 6cm). I did a bit of research and read they sometimes develop a taste for the polys rather than scraping algae off the rocks/wood.

So, is it worth the risk?? :confused:

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
I wouldn't risk it. Especially not with those really nice ornates that you have

JESToner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Austin Tx
ive kept prochilodus with my polys for over two years before it died (the flagtail i mean) nothing ever happened, got the pics to prove it

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
well it can work out, and has before. however the only sure fire algea eater for a polyp tank has to be aglea eating snails. they won' suck on your polyp and they won't get eaten either. they work wonderfully.

eminas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2007
perth, australia
Yeh my mates flagtail (12cm) worked fine until it got munched on by the Endlicheri ( 28cm ) ... i havent tried the combination since...But the tank that i do have my flagtail in is crystal clear! Looks gr8 too, one of my fav fish!

Monstaf1sh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Perth, Australia
Thanks Eminas,

Yeah i did that combination, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt i too was worried that my flagtail would suck on the slime of my endli it worked out fine for a while until one day my endli was a bit hungry and ended up munching on the head of the flagtail and killed it the flagtail was too big for it to eat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store