Polypterus mokelembembe Info?

gar man

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
iowa
Polypterus mokelembembe

Formerly known as Polypterus retropinnis (a species name now assigned to a different fish), this 'upper-jaw' bichir is fairly uncommon in the aquarium trade. The characteristic pattern is of indistinct dark blotches. The bronze-colored iris is also typical. A relatively small bichir, Polypterus mokelembembe rarely exceeds 12 inches. The individual pictured above is a very young fish. Note that the species name 'mokelembembe' refers to the mythical dinosaur-like animal said to inhabit lakes and jungles of the deep Congo River drainage.

Any aquarium care on these guys?

Pretropinnis2.jpg

Rockbass6

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2007
Lake Erie
I messaged you back gar man, hope I was of help to ya. If you have any other questions, I will do my best to help you out. I have had my moke for quite a while now. That picture you found I feel is a poor representation of the species. Some like the one I have, have this greenish tint to the head. Palmas b on the left moke on the right.. Green and yellow green and yellow. haha

View attachment mokey.bmp

gar man

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
iowa
That is a cool looking fish, I hope I can get some eventually

Infblue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
US
note that the pic gar man posted is a very small specimen, like 3ish" or so. Hence, it's not necessarily a poor representation of the species. if anything, i'd say it's an average specimen, but keep in mind, it's still very young.

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
My LFS has these for sale.
£65 for 20cm specimens.

Are these any more difficult than the other species?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store