Polystigma

Santiago 210

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2021
Hello, I am new here.
I have a fairly recent 210 gallon, 3 oase 600, big wave maker.
Common Malawi fish and will use common names. And best guess at sex.
6 electric yellows 2M 4F
4 dragon blood peacocks IM 3F
4 VC- 10 2M 2F
4 star Sapphire 2M 2F
3 polystigmas 3F
The fish are all between 3 to 5 inches, fat, happy and healthy. They get along good, maybe due to all having a different appearance and colors.
They are more aggressive among same species but I have lots of rock work and can have hiding spaces.
The polystigmas are about 5 inches perhaps a little more. I would like to have a male with that group. As I live in a somewhat remote area in Mexico the schedule for getting another fish will be in a few months or more. The fish may be 8 inches or more by then as they are voracious and growing fast.

Can I introduce a male polystigma 3 to 4 inch in a tank with mates more than double in size?

It is complicated getting fish down here, 3 inch or so is about it.
This group when full grown should be enough bio load for tank so I am somewhat reluctant to get alot of fish when time to get polystigma.
What your thoughts on this?

IMG_20210623_085401.jpg

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I am less concerned about the size difference and more concerned about adding one fish. What I have done before is separated out a couple of existing fish into the quarantine tank, added the new fish to the quarantine tank with the couple of existing fish. and then added them all to the main tank after 3 weeks if all is well.

How long is the 210G?

Santiago 210

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2021
7×2×2
I really didn't want to get another tank but I like that idea. 30 gallon maybe?
You think the male would survive being half the size of the girls?

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I don't see why not, you have other 3 inch fish in the main tank. I would probably choose his temporary quarantine tank mates to be closer to his size as opposed to closer to his species. You need a quarantine tank in any case.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I would reduce the males and increase the females on the 2m:2f groups. You may have trouble getting the star sapphires to show their best colors with the tank mates you have chosen.

Santiago 210

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2021
I would like to have a 1 to 3 ratio with all of them. Maybe I can get a girl VC- 10 and a star sapphire girl when I get the polystigma boy.
I don't have a way to lose fish here. No one nearby has a tank, and there are no local fish shops here. I don't have the heart to dispose of any fish that are just the wrong sex and otherwise healthy. I have a few months to figure that out.
22 fish full grown should be about right for my size tank. Some are going to get quite large. I occasionally think that perhaps I am to optimistic and will have a bio-load difficult to manage.
Thanks

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I do think one less species of the large ones would be a better bioload and better for aggression management. Hope all goes well!

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
It's been my experience introducing a new solo fish into an existing African Cichlid community, that the chances for survival are better for a juvenile rather than an adult.
Just provide plenty of escape avenues.
The new juvies still receive the typical three day cichlid slap down, but usually survive & are accepted into the hierarchy.

Reactions: Santiago 210

Santiago 210

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2021
I do think one less species of the large ones would be a better bioload and better for aggression management. Hope all goes well!
Ya'll are giving me some good advice. What do you think about thinning out the placidochromis? One male, one female VC 10.
One male, one female sapphire.
Keep 3 female polystigmas.
VC 10 male 8 to 10 inch, female 6 to 8 inch Sapphire species similar size as VC 10.
I think the bio-load might be ok with that mix. Do not want more than once a week water change and prefilter cleaning.
No male nimbochromis would help with some aggression as they can be mean. The females are like having happy puppies in there.
The sapphire males already have nice color, I like the VC10 look.
Not sure about the one on one, male, female mix with placidochromis.
Thoughts on this are appreciated.
The dragons and yellows are breeding and happy.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I personally like to keep 1m:4f for any Malawi stocking...or even more females. Are you suggesting removing the Placidochromis entirely?

I think with 1m:1f VC-10 the female's life would be in danger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store