Pond Cooling

Asianbucketbrigade

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2018
Hi all, I’m working on an aquaculture project that involves fish that require water on the temperate side, 70-75 degrees or lower, and I’m working with a large above ground plastic pond. I’m afraid that shade won’t be enough to keep the water below 75 degrees. Are there any SoCal pond keepers measuring their summer temperatures and if so;
What’s the highest temperature you’ve observed your pond reaching and are there any low energy methods for keeping the temp down?

I’m talking summer highs of 105 or more degrees, and mid 80 degree lows at night.

Thank you!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Where I live we get air temps over 86F (30C) only rarely, and for relatively short periods. To us, 86F is hot.

But, a stock tank coloured a light blue colour, sitting in full sun, can often exceed 94F by day's end. A black tank feels even warmer.

Full shade throughout the day is critical; even in the shade, there is sufficient light intensity outdoors to grow most plants luxuriously. I have an outdoor dug pond that has begun to be shaded by a nearby tree; water lilies and other plants still flourish, but the lily in that shaded corner only blooms occasionally.

If I provide shade by means of some sort of semi-portable structure, removing that shade late in the season allows the sun to warm my stock tanks and extend the time I can leave my fish outdoors by a few weeks, but I need to cover the tanks at night to retain the day's heat as night time temperatures drop. Doesn't sound like that will be a concern for you. :)

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Digging the pond into the ground may be considered. Otherwise high speed fans blowing on the surface and on filter output may drop temp by 3-5F in our experience. Shade. Insulation + chiller. Indoors / garage with AC.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store