Pond/fish pictures

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
It's been so nice since my husband and I got our new pond up and running. It's not compete yet, but we got enough done to get the fish moved in.
I've really missed having my fish outside:)

Not the best quality pictures, but they show part of the herd;)
The goldfish will be gone as soon as I find them a home, as well as two koi I'm not fond of.
The stock will be 8 koi, 2 shubunkins, and 2 ryukins once the others are rehomed.
IMG_1207.JPG IMG_1208.JPG
A couple of my favorites. The black and orange is Big O and the yellow one is Sunshine:)
IMG_1209.JPG IMG_1211.JPG IMG_1212.JPG

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
More pictures.
My daughter and I were enjoying some time at the pond this morning.
Our koi aren't anything special, just pond quality, but they are very friendly:)
IMG_1233.JPG IMG_1234.jpg IMG_1235.jpg
Please excuse the diy pre filter. I just needed something to keep the tree seeds from getting stuck in the pump.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
They eat the sweat and dead skin of your feet. they like the taste. goldfish do the same. Very few fish can truly be "friendly" like a GG.

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
They eat the sweat and dead skin of your feet. they like the taste. goldfish do the same. Very few fish can truly be "friendly" like a GG.
I'm sure that's what they are doing here, kinda gross to think about. Lol
But they are friendly in terms of eating from anyone's hands, following me around the pond, and hanging around me whenever I am in the water.

Not the same as a GG from what I've seen. Their kinda "friendly" is gladly being pet. My koi havent gotten comfortable enough to have a hand come at them to be pet.
They just always want to be fed. Haha

Reactions: J. H.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Nice looking koi,were you keeping them in a large tank inside the house and,could you get us some full pond shots?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Nice looking koi,were you keeping them in a large tank inside the house and,could you get us some full pond shots?
Thanks.
They were being kept in a kiddy pool in the basement. Before that a small water garden. My husband and I underestimated how fast they would grow. I was just getting into keeping fish at the time. They have been through alot while I've been learning as I go.
The new pond is 11' x 11' the main part of the pond is 9x9x4'.4". The foot shelf going around the pond is 4"-6" deep. If that makes sense.
I still have to do the landscaping around the pond.
IMG_1242.JPG

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Love the pond and that is a serious flow looking flow coming from that water fall, really nicely done.Thanks for posting.

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Haha, yes. It is coming out with a lot of force. It's a diy flow-through filter.
IMG_1245.JPG
It's hard to see but I have all kinds of media stuffed in there. Then I have a bag of bio balls in the second to last compartment before the falls. The three outputs for the falls are the same size (1 1/2") as the incoming piping from the pump. I didn't expect it to have such good flow. This was my first time putting something like this together. Well.... drawing up the plans and my husband making it for me. The only reason it works so well is because he found all the flaws in my design and fixed them as we bought supplies. Haha.

I want to make a wood top for it to cover the bright yellow lid. Then tall plants and rock work will help hide the box. It should look really good next year:)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Haha, yes. It is coming out with a lot of force. It's a diy flow-through filter.
View attachment 1267128
It's hard to see but I have all kinds of media stuffed in there. Then I have a bag of bio balls in the second to last compartment before the falls. The three outputs for the falls are the same size (1 1/2") as the incoming piping from the pump. I didn't expect it to have such good flow. This was my first time putting something like this together. Well.... drawing up the plans and my husband making it for me. The only reason it works so well is because he found all the flaws in my design and fixed them as we bought supplies. Haha.

I want to make a wood top for it to cover the bright yellow lid. Then tall plants and rock work will help hide the box. It should look really good next year:)
That has to be one impressive pump.Have you looked into the large,fake boulders to conceal tge box?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Im pretty happy with it so far. It's an alpine pal3100. The first pump I ordered stopped working after one week of use but the company sent me a return label and sent the new pump out right away. The new pump arrived the day I was able to schedule a pick up for the broken pump. I was impressed with how quickly they fixed the situation.
As a back up my husband ordered the next pump size up. But I'm not really sure my filter box would be able to handle it. Lol

I have looked at them, but they are expensive. More then I would want to spend anyway. Mostly just because I know as the fish grow I'll likely need to add a second filter, or make a bigger one. They were the first thing that came to mind though!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store