Pond problem

spencer0t

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2016
I recently made a pond in my backyard south Florida had mosquito fish,mollies die since putting them in tested the water will put in a picture but the hardness is very low what do I do to bring it up

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
What kind of pond? Concrete, liner, plastic,.......

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
How many gallons, kind of filter, and algae growth?

Reactions: Dloks

spencer0t

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2016
Also will be cutting excess liner off and put stones around it also rocks on the bottom I was told to put limestone it to get the hardness up

image.jpg

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Sounds like you already understand that your liner pond is lacking minerals. Concrete ponds don't have this problem.
This being a new pond, there may be other factors and perhaps it is just not cycled yet.

spencer0t

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2016
Sounds like you already understand that your liner pond is lacking minerals. Concrete ponds don't have this problem.
This being a new pond, there may be other factors and perhaps it is just not cycled yet.
I did put in the minnows and mollies in a little early just wanted them to produce for predators coming in but I’m not sure I don’t want to spend money and have them floating by morning I heard limestone helps with hardness and it being Florida there’s a lot of it so I might try limestone

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
sea shells can help with hardness, also don't mollies like a bit of aquarium salt added to the water ? Or is that an old thing

spencer0t

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2016
sea shells can help with hardness, also don't mollies like a bit of aquarium salt added to the water ? Or is that an old thing
Not sure had 6 mollies just to produce for future predators but all have died now just mosquito fish in it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store