pool filter for tank?

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Pool filters do work.

Pro's: Good mechanical filtration

High tank turnover rate (10x on this one for a 300g tank)

Easy/quick W/C's

Can be located elsewhere

Con's: Frequent cartridge cleaning or replacement depending on bio-load

No biological filtration (by themselves)

High return water velocity

Noisy

Not designed for 24/7/365 operation (you could run them on a timer like a pool
system depending on the type of fish you have

More for 1000g + or multiple tank/pond setups.

There are smaller systems for small pools but you run into reliability factors with these (usually cheaply made).

All in all they can have their place, but a 300g tank may not be it. Consider some of the other large canister filters available.

pophead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2006
edmonton, AB. Canada
k thanks.

maybe if I found one where I could change up the media, and put it in an insulated box(for noise control). still have to think about it running full time though. because they do appear to be slightly cheaper than canister filters, although if the pool filter wears out faster because of fulltime use, then I'd better go with an aquarium filter. I'm working on a tight budget.

Joshy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2006
Essex, England
www.bbc.co.uk
Good information there Dr Joe!

I have been pondering this question as well pophead, there is not much information or articles on the web about it unfortunately.

If you have the space, i would go for a DIY wet/dry system.
It will work out cheaper (if you DIY), and be more efficient.

As Dr Joe said, pool/pond filters are for really big tanks/ponds really.
Also, such filters are no where near as effective with fish that have to have perfect water quality. Instead they suit fish like piranhas better, which consequently need more mechanical filtration due to their diet.

What's your stocking intentions? And instead of 300+ gallons, what rough gallon estimate are you looking at?

pophead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2006
edmonton, AB. Canada
I'll have to look into a wet/dry system.
the tank I'd LIKE to build would be 8' wide, 2' high, and 4' deep. so I guess that's more like 450 gallons, although I might go smaller(3' deep instead of 4'). I was hoping to get some silver arowanas and/or larger catfish. maybe a bicher or two(or more!:naughty: ).
tank size mostly depends on the parents. lol

unstopable4700

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
indiana
probably dont want to put it in insulated box so it dont build up heat and crap out even sooner

Joshy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2006
Essex, England
www.bbc.co.uk
DIY Wet/Drys are definitely worth the effort.
However if you have a power cut, you could have problems.
Also, evaporation is a bigger issue with them.

Personally, anything over 500 gallons, i would say a pool/pond filter is a fair option.
Anything under that, and go wet/dry.

But definitely do tons of research before you jump into a decision.

pophead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2006
edmonton, AB. Canada
yes I've done a lot of research, but I need to do a lot more. mostly with the filter, though. I'm sure this site has plenty of info.:)

I actually just came across a local add on the web, the guy is selling an 8'6" x 32" piece of glass(1/2"thick) for $100...

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Glass is a little thin. You could brace it in two places vertically but you'll get arguments on here. Check out commercial salvage yards in your area, the kind that gut buildings (banks & stores) sometimes you find good deals. Someone on here was talking to a friend and found out he had 4 monster pieces of glass they were going to thro out in a week...STILL IN THEIR SHIPPING CRATES! and the friend could deliver it!. I should be so lucky. So look and talk to people.

I forgot to mention, my 1.5hp pump cost $135.oo a month to run. SO you want to find a very efficient pump motor, and yes they are more expensive (we can't win).

If you have the room and are designing a DIY tank, if possible build a W/D filter into the stand. If your designing this, everything will fit without hoses and wires everywhere. Trying to make manufactured parts fit your space usually doesn't work well.

A W/D will give you everything you need in a filter system and you can control evaporation with lids (you could contain it with a closed loop system but you would need a condenser unit, better(cheaper) to exhaust/exchange the air).

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store