POOL FILTER SAND and Stingrays

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Ok.. So what is the deal with Pool Filter Sand?

First off - THIS IS NOT SILICA SAND. It looks like a naturally based sand, with some silica particles in it. The bag contains no information on what percentage is Silica based. The grain size is MUCH larger then most 'Play sand' or Silica sand. I washed the sand in a 5g bucket for about 20 minutes, swooshing it around, trying to remove any fine particles. I end up losing about a half bag everytime I do this. This leaves only the larger, heavier particles to stay.

My Experience - I have 2 rays right now that are living on this sand. They forage for food, and bury themselves normally. One has shown drastic improvement since I have added the sand, feeling more comfortable.

I was told to look for signs of redness/veins on their belly. This would be due to the fact the abrasive sand is irritating them. Both rays that are on the Pool Filter Sand have white bellies, and have been behaving, eating, and acting normal. When the sand was first installed, they were showing slightly pink bellies, and the sand would sometimes stick to their slime coat. They have improved alot in the weeks after adding the sand, and the pinkness has gone away.

I was also told to watch out for infections in the gills. They seem to be breathing normal and have shown no signs of gill irritation.

Rays encounter many different substrates/objects that could be irritable in the wild.. They should be able to handle a variety of substrates, as long as they are not abrasive or irritating, right?

Also.. Many people might have attempted to use this sand, and not been patient with it. Remember, it would take some time for a particle of sand to develop a layer of 'slime' around it.. Maybe some people used un-thoroughly washed Pool Filter Sand (which was likely silica based), and they did not have 'immediate' success with it because it irritated the Rays. This could be due to the fact that the substrate needs time to break in, and develop a slime/bacteria coating, making it more smooth. I have noticed after the sand was 'Broken In', it would quit sticking to the slime coat of the rays. This is the same for my Puffer who buries himself.

What else do I need to watch for?

How can I know this sand is safe? It is very well washed, and I think some people make the mistake of not washing it enough.

Please don't reply, and tell me 'It has Silica, use real gravel'.. Because I have heard that.. I am simply looking for information on the POOL FILTER SAND, not on 'What sand should I use?'..

Can someone give me a link for a *WHOLESALE* place to buy a bulk amount of small, fine, smooth, aquarium gravel.. Such as Estes.

Thanks,

Miles

Tami Sims

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Washington State
Hey... NICE RAY. They just put ina Fresh water sting ray display at our local zoo and I met the guy online that sold them the rays. Check out freshwaterstingray.com .... his name is David and He could help I am sure....

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
bump for more opinions

the search feature is fixed haha.........

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
i have 3m quartz in mine and every now and then i see my brazilian hystrix with bright redness around the gills but then when i turn the lights on.... it goes away... within seconds....

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
I have used pool filter sand for a while, even when my rays were very small, i have never had any issues. However i think that 3m sand looks better so that is why i switched to it.
So i feel either is safe for most rays...atleast motoros. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store