pool filter sand

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
Not sure where else, but you could google it. That's the brand name so I'm sure theres other tool supply places that have it. But tractor supply is like $8.99 for 50 lbs. Pretty much unbeatable for me.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
How do you think this would be with sifters like geos? I've heard some say it's abrasive and rough on their gills. Every kept them on it?
No BDbs with Geo's. Play sand or pfs.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
How do you think this would be with sifters like geos? I've heard some say it's abrasive and rough on their gills. Every kept them on it?
That's what I was thinking. I feel like corys would be in the same boat with their sifting behavior
Pool filter sand is what I recommend over play sand. My Corydora lost barbels with the play sand as substrate.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I have CEMEX Lapis Lustre sand in several of my tanks. The 220g has a deep layer of this.

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
I have not kept geos but my larger cichlids move bdbs around by the ton and I've not had any issues. I also highly recommend lapis luster sand, I get it from home depot. It's been about a year, but at the time it was $9 per 50lb bag I believe. It's kiln dried so it comes very clean. It's a natural beach sand color. It's a fine sand but not so fine that's its impossible to clean and stays down if you use a long tube gravel vac. I think the size is #30 mesh. IMO it would be a great sand for geos and I've seen south American tanks with natural sand substrates the have a little gravel mixed in and that looks fantastic.

Reactions: fishguy1978
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store