Possible aquarium stocking 10.0

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
If it were me.....once cichlid and a few polys. Teugs, congi, endli, weeksii and a lap or two will give you a decent variety of polys YOU like.

As far as the sd's, clowns and multiple cichlids i would pass. That bioload will grow as time goes on. Knowing how busy you are i would keep things nice and simple. But be able to start raising fish that will eventually end up in your monster tank.

I would keep things stress free multiple cichlids i gaurantee at some point someone isnt going to want to play nice. I hate sd's they are literally the only fish i HATE. Consider how slow polys are and how fast sds consume everything insight ypu'll be oever feeding, and to me a knife and a school of sds are just wasted space/bioload.

Reactions: magpie

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
"I could always wait to get the ljs though"

Not so fast lol. Some of these lower jaws can get hard to come by. I couldnt find pbb for a couple of yrs. Toyin seems to get a steady stream of faranah laps lately and seems to always have some sort of endli and congi.

I always felt that if there was a wc poly/cat/cichlid that i was after i wanted to jump on it asap as you have no idea how or when toyin and rapps or the other top vendors will get more

You need to decide who the stars of the tank are then build around them instead of just mixing in a large group of fish...jist my 2 cents

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
"I could always wait to get the ljs though"

Not so fast lol. Some of these lower jaws can get hard to come by. I couldnt find pbb for a couple of yrs. Toyin seems to get a steady stream of faranah laps lately and seems to always have some sort of endli and congi.

I always felt that if there was a wc poly/cat/cichlid that i was after i wanted to jump on it asap as you have no idea how or when toyin and rapps or the other top vendors will get more

You need to decide who the stars of the tank are then build around them instead of just mixing in a large group of fish...jist my 2 cents

Yeah, I agree I was worried about all the exact same things you brought up. I think one decent size cichlid (or some larger fish) with the polys would be great polys are definitely the focus of this tank for sure. Im just worried that there won’t be enough movement in the tank. I’ve heard that Powerheads help encourage more movement.

There’s a red Texas growing out at my lfs that is kind of growing on me as well as a shy bocourti.

I know I can’t make up my mind but I don’t want to be running back and forth to the fish store or buying different fish online because this one didn’t work or whatever reason. I know there are going to be some tweaking involved but I am trying to minimize that as much as possible.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Im just worried that there won’t be enough movement in the tank. I’ve heard that Powerheads help encourage more movement.
Yup there might not be tons of movement but that kind of goes with keeping polys. You could stock it to the max i was really thinking about the amount of maintenance with school, work, and kids i would want things easy breezy but it your tank bro.

There’s a red Texas growing out at my lfs that is kind of growing on me as well as a shy bocourti.

I know I can’t make up my mind but I don’t want to be running back and forth to the fish store or buying different fish online because this one didn’t work or whatever reason. I know there are going to be some tweaking involved but I am trying to minimize that as much as possible.
Thats the main issue and why im a 1 cichlid per tank guy with the med/large sizes especially centrals. Hulks calmed down allot but hes a few yrs old. He tolerates chewy (het) but will still do these short half hearted chases when food is present amd this is in a 300. In the 150 he was relentless. Ive even had a 6 inch metae take over a 150. For me its too much work.

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Yup there might not be tons of movement but that kind of goes with keeping polys. You could stock it to the max i was really thinking about the amount of maintenance with school, work, and kids i would want things easy breezy but it your tank bro.

Thats the main issue and why im a 1 cichlid per tank guy with the med/large sizes especially centrals. Hulks calmed down allot but hes a few yrs old. He tolerates chewy (het) but will still do these short half hearted chases when food is present amd this is in a 300. In the 150 he was relentless. Ive even had a 6 inch metae take over a 150. For me its too much work.

See I’m not as worried as much about the movement as I think my wife would be. I’m just trying to make everyone happy lol but I’m sure I’ll be able to find something that will work that won’t cause me undo stress

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Hahaha i got ya. So get her a really interactive cichlid. My wife adores hulk man the fish follows her around and hand feeds from only her. Two most social fish ive had were pearsei and oscars. Im sure there are others just need to dig a little.

Let her name the fish and feed it. Expalin how big and territorial all the cool ones are and she'll be happy. I can gind some of the vids with hulk interacting with my wife for you to show her....doesnt have to be a pearsei its rhe behavior ur gonna sell her on lol
See I’m not as worried as much about the movement as I think my wife would be. I’m just trying to make everyone happy lol but I’m sure I’ll be able to find something that will work that won’t cause me undo stress

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Hahaha i got ya. So get her a really interactive cichlid. My wife adores hulk man the fish follows her around and hand feeds from only her. Two most social fish ive had were pearsei and oscars. Im sure there are others just need to dig a little.

Let her name the fish and feed it. Expalin how big and territorial all the cool ones are and she'll be happy. I can gind some of the vids with hulk interacting with my wife for you to show her....doesnt have to be a pearsei its rhe behavior ur gonna sell her on lol

I mean I guess that could be the poly threads thing. Just have everyone have a pearsei with their polys. Lol I can definitely get them from my lfs. It’s for sure on the top of the list lol

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Wc oscars are pretty cool too man. I heard amphs have amazing personalities but ive never kept one so couldnt say how thry would be with the polys.

Reactions: DRteugelsi

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
if you want poly friendly and interactive you can't beat a fire eel especially when you train them to hand feed. Both of mine come out when they see me and beg for food

Reactions: DRteugelsi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store