Possible Cataracts in my Oscars Eye

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
41-50%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello All!

BACKSTORY:

So if I am to post here I must admit my faults before I start. For the last year or so I have majorly been uninvolved in the hobby and have been slacking on doing proper care for my aquariums and fish - which I regret and am trying to make right. I have been fishkeeping for over 6 years now and I fully understand the nitrogen cycle, fish illnesses, and how to properly maintain an aquarium.

Recently I have gotten a lot of inspiration in the hobby again and I have been paying much more attention to my fish, I have been attempting to catch up on water changes and general cleaning over the last week or so.

THE ISSUE:

My Oscar (Delta) - who I’ve had for over 5 years jumped out of the tank several years ago while I was feeding him and he injured his eye pretty badly. He, I thought, fully recovered but several months ago I noticed in that same eye a tiny white spot. I wasn’t too concerned as cloudy eye usually affects the entire eye and he was showing (and still isn’t showing) any other symptoms. Present day that spot has grown to envelope almost his entire pupil and I noticed today there seems to be a small pool of blood in his eye.

I just did a 50% water change and did a 50% water change a few days ago as well (he lives in a 130 gallon aquarium).

My thought is that it is some kind of advanced cataract as that is the closest thing I can find that looks like it. He behaves normally, eats well and is active but I wanted to get your guys thoughts.

TLDR:

Oscar has a white spot in his eye that has slowly gotten larger over the course of several months. My though is cataracts but want another opinion.

image.jpg

image.jpg

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Wow, sorry to hear Delta is having eye problems. I see another oscar in one of the pics. So 2 O's in a 130. I'd bump up those water changes to 80% twice a week and see if it helps clear the eye a bit. May have a bacterial issue going on if there's blood in the eye. Is that ich on him? I see a lot of salt sprinkles. It also looks like a nasal pit with early hith erosion.

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Wow, sorry to hear Delta is having eye problems. I see another oscar in one of the pics. So 2 O's in a 130. I'd bump up those water changes to 80% twice a week and see if it helps clear the eye a bit. May have a bacterial issue going on if there's blood in the eye. Is that ich on him? I see a lot of salt sprinkles. It also looks like a nasal pit with early hith erosion.
Hi! I’m glad you commented on the nasal pit thing, I wasn’t sure if that was HITH or just an injury from a fight. No it’s not ich, it’s bubbles and sand. They fall off if he gets into the water current.

Do you think the up in water changes will help the HITH or do you think I should introduce medicine?

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Hi! I’m glad you commented on the nasal pit thing, I wasn’t sure if that was HITH or just an injury from a fight. No it’s not ich, it’s bubbles and sand. They fall off if he gets into the water current.

Do you think the up in water changes will help the HITH or do you think I should introduce medicine?
Definitely up those water changes. It might hold HITH at bay but you would need to post your water parameters. I have a large oscar that gets 90% change once a week. My water is moderately hard so i keep an eye out for potential HITH. Others here could tell you more about it than me. Put some vitamin C into your O's food as they have a requirement for it. It MAY help improve the eye.

Try clean water before jumping to meds. Give it a couple of weeks of heavy water changes. I'm told HITH has no cure but you can keep it from worsening. Also keep your mechanical filtration clean. Leave the bio alone.

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Definitely up those water changes. It might hold HITH at bay but you would need to post your water parameters. I have a large oscar that gets 90% change once a week. My water is moderately hard so i keep an eye out for potential HITH. Others here could tell you more about it than me. Put some vitamin C into your O's food as they have a requirement for it. It MAY help improve the eye.

Try clean water before jumping to meds. Give it a couple of weeks of heavy water changes. I'm told HITH has no cure but you can keep it from worsening. Also keep your mechanical filtration clean. Leave the bio alone.
Alright, I’ve been cleaning the mechanical filtration nearly daily, not touching the bio media.

I have meds that supposedly treat HITH that I was given a long time ago (I’d have to check if it’s expired. I can’t do more than 50% at a time (we are on a well and will run out of hot water if I do much More than 50%), but I will do that percentage of water changes 3-4 times a week.

Reactions: FINWIN

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
Alright, I’ve been cleaning the mechanical filtration nearly daily, not touching the bio media.

I have meds that supposedly treat HITH that I was given a long time ago (I’d have to check if it’s expired. I can’t do more than 50% at a time (we are on a well and will run out of hot water if I do much More than 50%), but I will do that percentage of water changes 3-4 times a week.
Ay fellow Oscar picture user

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store